Cat Veterinary

Have Cat Questions? Ask a Cat Vet Online.

Ask a Cat Veterinarian,

One of our cats has developed a rash/scabs over her body…

One of our cats has...
One of our cats has developed a rash/scabs over her body over the last month. At first it just seemed like she got into a fight with another cat and had a few scabby feeling areas on her face and neck. But it has progressed in the last week and is all over her body, and we are now noticing her scratching a lot and she has a couple little bald areas developing on her back as a result. Seems like what would be called miliary dermatitis but I cant see a cause. I checked her fur thoroughly and found no indication of fleas or anything else like that. We have four cats and none of the others show similar symptoms.Im looking for possible solutions that would save me an expensive and time consuming vet visit. Any suggestions or remedies I could try would be greatly appreciated
10/15/2017
PitRottMommy
PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse

Hello, JACustomer. I have been a Veterinary Nurse for over 15 years and would be happy to help you today. I'm reviewing your question right now.

I am very sorry to see that no one has reached out to you before now. I just came online and found that your question had not been addressed. How is your companion at this time?

About the same..i was planning on trying to give her a bath with moisturizing oatmeal shampoo I bought yesterday at petsmart

Before doing so, let's chat a bit about what you're seeing. Can you share pictures of the rash and scabs? Are they over the entire body or primarily a certain area? is she indoors only or in and out? What flea prevention are you using and when was it last applied? Is she on any medication at this current time?

Thanks for your reply, Gregory. This does look like miliary dermatitis. Have any medications been tried thus far that have or have not helped Miss Lola?

No medications yet.. this as far as I've been with it..id usually go right to the vet but time and finances won't allow me to do that this week

That's okay. To help with itching, you can use the OTC antihistamine Chlorpheniramine (no rx needed) at 1-4mg by mouth up to twice daily. Many cats need to receive it for 3-5 days at the highest dosage and frequency to help them the most. If it does, you can give it as long as needed. If this doesn't work, a steroid shot may be ideal so she can receive relief from itching. Once the itching stops, you can use a flea comb to remove the scabs from her skin and over time the fur will fill back in with growth (typically 6-8 weeks time).

I hope this information has been helpful. I will be standing by if you have other questions. Let me know if I can help further. Also, before signing off today, please take the time to use the star rating system at the top of the page to leave a rating for me (bottom of the page if using the app). A 5-star rating is appreciated as top notch answers are my focus. If you feel you have received anything less, please reply so that I may help until you’ve received the assistance you need. Until you issue a rating, the website will not compensate me for helping you. You will still be able to chat with me even after issuing a rating at no further charge on this thread.

I will also check in with you over the next few days to be sure you don’t need any additional assistance. If you would like to request me in the future for pet-related questions, you can do so by accessing this page: http://www.justanswer.com/pet/expert-pitrottmommy/?rpt=3800

PitRottMommy
PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse
Ok thanks for the help..i went ahead and rated you already but do you think the shampoo is a waste of time and money? (And I'm nervous about having her scratch me during the bath too lol)..ill try to find that antihistamine you recommended..do you think a pet store would have it or is it best to order it online?

I think it may help mildly but it's not usually the fix that owners are hoping for.

A human pharmacy is where you want to look, where you'd find benadryl and similar meds for yourself.

PitRottMommy
PitRottMommy
PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse