Cat Veterinary

Have Cat Questions? Ask a Cat Vet Online.

Ask a Cat Veterinarian,

Cat Veterinary

Discovered a litter of cats but mom ran off scared. Not sure…

Hi, discovered a litter of...
Hi, discovered a litter of cats but mom ran off scared.
Not sure if she's back or not.
Will mom find them if moved to a nearby location?
They are in a shed nearby, with a neighbor dog barking at it since he realized they were there.
10/14/2017
Dr. B.
Dr. B., Cat Veterinarian

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you today.

In regards ***** ***** question, its not advisable to move the kittens without mum being involved (tricky of course if she is fearful and not a pet) since there is a real risk she won't find them or won't realize they are hers and thus abandon them. Therefore, it'd be best to speak to your neighbour about keeping the dog away from the area so we don't have to risk this family being separated (and that may be best if mum cat decided that was a safe nest site). Otherwise if they just cannot stay where they are, then we could try moving them into a warm carrier just on the other side of the shed (so its close) but be prepared to take them on as bottle baby orphans if she doesn't realize they are hers and leaves them.

Kind regards,

Dr. B.

******************************************************************************

I aim to provide best care for you just as I do for my own clients & their pets. If you have any other questions, please ask – I’m happy to help but please rate me with the **STARS** (or leave a written rating of 1-5; 5 being great) as this is the only way I am credited for my work by the site & this allows me to continue to help here. This is included in your question fee. Once you rate, your question will not close & you can still ask follow-up questions. Thank you. : )**

The kittens are gone so hopefully that means mom moved them to a better location.

Hello again,

Hopefully so. Especially as the dog causing a fuss should have been enough to push the mother cat to relocate her litter to a more secure location.

Best wishes,

Dr. B.

Dr. B.
Dr. B., Cat Veterinarian
Hi Kd,

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr. B.
Dr. B.
Dr. B.
Dr. B., Cat Veterinarian