Cat Veterinary

Have Cat Questions? Ask a Cat Vet Online.

Ask a Cat Veterinarian,

Cat Veterinary

Garfield has diabetes and kidney disease. He was receiving

fluids but did not have...
Garfield has diabetes and kidney disease. He was receiving fluids but did not have any for 10-12 day. Then he was given about 1 1/2 or 2. He does not seem to feel well. He is not eating but he has had something to drink. His breathing is about 48 times a minute. His gums seem pink. He has gone to pee and poop but doesn't have the energy to get completely in the box. Is this an emergency? Can I call the vet tomorrow?
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. What sort of animal are we talking about?
Customer: Garfield is a cat at 12 years or above. There are 3 people taking care of him from different houses.
JA: OK. I'm sure the Veterinarian can help with the diabetes. What is the cat's name?
Customer: Garfield
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Garfield?
Customer: He is resting sort of but does not seem completely relaxed. He has diabetes and kidney disease. He gets 1/2 unit of insulin, 2 x day.
I was mainly concerned with his breathing 48 times per minute. Is that an emergency?
10/13/2017
Dr. Denise
Dr. Denise, Cat Veterinarian

Hi. I’m Dr. Denise, a licensed veterinarian and I'd like to help. Please give me a moment while I review your concerns.

I'm am very concerned about Garfield. His increased respiratory rate, lack of appetite, lack of energy and history of diabetes and kidney disease put him in a concerning state at this time.

I recommend seeking emergency care for Garfield this evening so that he can be evaluated and stabilized.

That is what I needed to know. Thank you.

I wish you both well.

Please let me know if you have any other questions. I am here to answer all the questions you have. If you have no other questions, I would greatly appreciate your positive review (5 stars). Your review helps connect Experts with other customers so your input is highly appreciated, and it is the only way that I am compensated. Thank you!

Dr. Denise
Dr. Denise, Cat Veterinarian
I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
Denise Cudiamat
Dr. Denise
Dr. Denise
Dr. Denise, Cat Veterinarian