Cat Veterinary

Have Cat Questions? Ask a Cat Vet Online.

Ask a Cat Veterinarian,

Cat Veterinary

Are Synotic ear drops okay for cats? Drugs.com states this…

Are Synotic ear drops okay...
Are Synotic ear drops okay for cats? Drugs.com states this is only for dogs. Allergy specialist (also ear specialist?) prescribed 0.25 mL daily for about 2 wks to decrease inner ear inflammation and severe friability so she can view eardrum and other inner ear anatomy and possibly do video-otoscopy. Agree with this approach? Thank you.My approximately 9 year old neutered male ragdoll has been severely digging at rt ear and holding outer ear down. His local cat vet has given Depo-Medrol & antibiotic several times which has decreased the itching. Only mild cerumen found initially.
10/12/2017
Scott Perry
Scott Perry, Cat Veterinarian

Hello. My name is***** and I am a veterinarian that can answer your question. I understand you want to know if Synotic ear drops are safe for cats. Is that correct?

Drug info I read stated specifically that this medication only for dogs and I want to be sure of its safety, as I know cats can have very different responses to meds and even foods compared to dogs and other animals.

That is a good concern. There are many medications that are safe to use for both cats and dogs, but the labeling only mentions one of them (usually dogs). The reason for this is because the maker of the medication has to pay for labeling for various species and they tend to have it only approved for the one that is most marketable. Since dogs are more commonly being treated for ear infections the medications are usually labeled for them. The ingredients in the bottle can safely be used for cats as long as the ear drum is intact. If the ear drum is ruptured then it can cause an affect on hearing and balance.

Please let me know if you have any other questions. I am here to help. If you have no other questions, I would appreciate a positive review. You may leave up to 5 stars when ready. Your review helps connect Experts with other customers, so your input is highly appreciated.

Since the Allergy specialist (also ear specialists for animals I take it) could not see the ear drum itself because of the extreme inflammation and easy bleeding when trying to clean, hopefully the eardrum is still intact. A "gamble" we need to take?

That is a common reason for not being able to see the ear drum. Baytril otic would be the safest medication to give if the ear drum is ruptured. This would be the best thing to give if there is any question. I would recommend to talk to your veterinarian about this possibility.

Scott Perry
Scott Perry, Cat Veterinarian
Hi James,

I'm just following up on our conversation about Ollie. How is everything going?

Scott Perry
Scott Perry
Scott Perry
Scott Perry, Cat Veterinarian