Cat Veterinary

Have Cat Questions? Ask a Cat Vet Online.

Ask a Cat Veterinarian,

Cat Veterinary

Cat wants to eat but smells food and turns away.,giving a

appetite med after it...
Cat wants to eat but smells food and turns away.,giving a appetite med after it will eat some food.He is drinking some water and peeing not sure about Defecation giving lax.
10/11/2017
DocPaul
DocPaul, Veterinarian

Good afternoon,

Dr. Paul here.

When were the blood tests performed and what did they run?

Glad the xrays were good

Did they do a urinalysis? Thyroid test? Ultrasound?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Ultrasound, urinalysis good. No thyroid test, General blood test was normal except for a little lo salt and Potassium.
Weight 14 lbs. This started about a 18 days ago, at first would not eat at all, after 3 days first vet (lab results) They gave fluids
and a antti-nausea injection did not help. In a few days whent to another vet, X-rays antti-nausea pills, appetite med., and
laxanip,, is eating only after giving appetite med., once a day will eat very littile less than 2 os. of wet food, was eating some dry food, but for the last two days no dry.

This is good news-lab and ultrasound.

I wonder if he has bad teeth, gum disease, something in the mouth that is making him reluctant to eat. Are you able to look in the mouth for me?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Both vets checked that nothing wrong

This certainly could be fatty liver. This is a serious problem in cats and cam lead to protracted inappetance and illness. I think at this point you need to have the blood work rechecked to see how the liver is holding up. Further, if Nik is not getting sufficient calories each day then additional force feeding or a feeding tube will be needed.

Do you have access to the ultrasound report. That is what I do and I would be happy to review that for you.

Paul

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Liver was in fine shape at that time 1 1/4 weeks ago.

Okay. But remember that ten days is a long time and there can be significant changes to the liver in that time. I am quite concerned about fatty liver and of course the underlying disease, if any.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
O.K. Thanks for info. I will take nik back for more liver tests tomorrow.

I think that is a good decision :). And they can re-palpate the abdomen and evaluate the need for additional calories. The faster we get the caloric intake up the faster Nik will get better is it is fatty liver.

Good luck and please do not hesitate to contact me again if you have more questions.'

Sincerely, Paul

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Thanks
Don

You are very welcome.

DocPaul
DocPaul, Veterinarian
Hi Donald,
I'm just following up on our conversation about Nik. How is everything going?
DocPaul
DocPaul
DocPaul
DocPaul, Veterinarian