Cat Veterinary

Have Cat Questions? Ask a Cat Vet Online.

Ask a Cat Veterinarian,

Older kitty with hyperthyroidism - but current issue is

Older kitty with hyperthyroidism...

Older kitty with hyperthyroidism - but current issue is lethargic and dehydrated. vet cannot see her until tomorrow and I'm worried that is too much time to wait. I have vitamin B12 shots I take. I am thinking giving her a B12 injection might boost her for the night. 1 ML?

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'm sorry to hear that. It could be an infection. The Expert will know what to do. Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about the kitten?

She's an older cat. I don't think it is an infection - no signs.

Symptoms mimic B12 deficiency which is why I wanted to give her the B12 since I have it and hope to hold her over for the night
10/10/2017
Rebecca, Cat Veterinarian

Thank you for using Just Answer. My name is Rebecca; I am a veterinarian. Please give me a moment to type my answer.

I am sorry to hear you are worried about your kitty. Is she still eating? Any vomiting or diarrhea? If you lift her lip to check her gums, are they pale or pink? In cats, B12 deficiency can cause loss of appetite, and diarrhea, and anemia (pale gums).

What is the strength of your B12? Usually I give a cat .1 ml to .25ml of B12 that is 1000 units per ml. If your B12 is stronger you may need to give even less.

Please let me know if this is helpful and what other questions you may have.

She is not eating; acts like she wants to drink but then doesn't. Some diarhea. I will check her gums and my B12 strength and follow accordingly. My main question was if it would be ok to administer B12 and how much and you have answered that. I am VERY appreciative. I just want to keep her from sliding further downhill at this point until I can get her into the vet.
Have a great evening.

You are welcome; I hope the B12 helps. Please let me know how she is doing.

Rebecca, Cat Veterinarian
I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?