Cat Veterinary

Have Cat Questions? Ask a Cat Vet Online.

Ask a Cat Veterinarian,

Cat Veterinary

He is 13 years old outdoor cat. Was diagnosed with diabetes…

He is 13 years...

He is 13 years old outdoor cat. Was diagnosed with diabetes this summer. He’s resistant to all insulin they tried to regulate it up to the highest dose possible. I noticed yesterday he is losing clumps of fur from his back. And looks like he has a sore starting to form on his spine.

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'm sorry to hear that. I'm sure the Veterinarian can help with the diabetes. What is the cat's name?

Panther

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Panther?

His glucose levels remained over 600 no mater the dose of insulin given by the vet

Answered in 1 hour by:
10/8/2017
Scott Perry
Scott Perry, Cat Veterinarian

Hello. My name is***** and I am a veterinarian that can answer your question. I am sorry to hear about the problems you have been having with Panther's insulin and being unable to regulate the diabetes. Can you please tell me what insulins have been tried? Do you know if Glargine was ever used?

I know it was a human insulin. Not sure if the name

Thank you for that information. I am typing my response now. Please bear with me a few moments.

It is not uncommon for cats to fail on certain insulins used for people such as Humulin or Novolin. These are short acting insulins that are more affordable, but cats tend to not regulate well on these insulin types. Glargine (preferred) or PZI is much more effective and longer acting in cats. However, if there is an issue with "insulin resistance" then that can cause problems with regulating diabetes no matter what insulin type or dose is used. Causes of insulin resistance are from certain diseases such as pancreas inflammation, liver inflammation, intestinal disease, or even dental disease. I recommend to double check with your veterinarian what insulin type was used, switch to a longer acting one if necessary, and search for a cause of insulin resistance.

Did I mention the sore on his back
It just showed up yesterday after his fur fell out

You did mention that. Thank you for bringing it up. I certainly do not want that to go unnoticed. Skin changes are common in cats with diabetes and a brittle coat often occurs. This may create a dry skin, dandruff, or immature skin at the surface that can result in a healing ulcer. This may also have occurred from trauma. Likely, the fur was covering the sore for a time so it was not readily observed. Treatment for this, besides getting the diabetes under control, is to apply Neosporin ointment to it twice daily as long as it is not getting infected. An infection will look swollen and not flat to the skin. There may also be a mucus discharge if it is infected. The sore should begin to form a scab and heal normally.

Thank you for your help have a great day

You are most welcome. Please let me know if you have any other questions. I am here to help. If you have no other questions, I would appreciate a positive review. You may leave up to 5 stars when ready. Your review helps connect Experts with other customers, so your input is highly appreciated.

Scott Perry
Scott Perry, Cat Veterinarian
Scott Perry
Scott Perry
Scott Perry, Cat Veterinarian