Cat Veterinary

Have Cat Questions? Ask a Cat Vet Online.

Ask a Cat Veterinarian,

Cat Veterinary

I have a 9 year old male cat who was a feral kitten when I

brought him into the house...
I have a 9 year old male cat who was a feral kitten when I brought him into the house. In the last several months, he started to have, what I call muscle spasms, when you touched his back in certain places. His skin would ripple and his head would automatically go down. His symptoms got better and I thought he was going to get over it. Lately, his symptoms have gotten worse.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the kitten's name?
Customer: His name is Cookie. He is overweight. Now if I just touch his back he has stronger spasms and above his tail in the back he has spasms and his head goes down and to the side.l
JA: The Expert will know what to do. Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Cookie?
Customer: I can only touch him on his sides and his head without getting a reaction. He also wants a lot of attention -- more than usual.
10/6/2017
Dr. John
Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian

Hello. Thanks for writing in. My name is***** and I would be happy to help you. I AM NOT SET UP TO MAKE PHONE CALLS, BUT I WOULD BE HAPPY TO ANSWER ANY QUESTIONS YOU HAVE ONLINE. THE WEBSITE SENDS THE REQUESTS; NOT MYSELF. There is a good chance that he has a problem called Feline Hyperesthesia. It is also called "Rolling Skin Disease". It is not clearly understood what causes it. It could be an anxiety problem. It could be a seizure problem. It has responded to treatment for either. The websites below have more comprehensive information on it. I would see if he has any of the other symptoms that match up. He may have all of them, or he may have only a couple of them. I would definitely have your vet check him out and run some routine blood work and make sure there are no other skin issues, like allergies, mites or fleas. From there, they can determine what course of medication to try him on first. Please let me know if you have any other questions or concerns. Hope this helps.

https://www.petplace.com/article/cats/pet-behavior-training/feline-hyperesthesia-fhs/

http://www.vet.cornell.edu/fhc/Health_Information/HyperesthesiaSyndrome.cfm

My goal is to make sure that you get all your question answered and all the information you need. IF YOU ARE SATISFIED WITH MY ANSWER, PLEASE RATE IT. Rating it is the only way I get compensated for helping you, and we can still continue our conversation after rating. If you feel like it is not helpful to you, or if there is more information you need, please respond back to me before rating. Asking more specific questions usually helps a lot. Realize that our conversation is not intended to diagnose or treat a condition. There has to be a valid veterinary-client-patient relationship established with an exam, according to law. You should always follow up with your vet.

Dr. John
Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian
Dr. John
Dr. John
Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian