Cat Veterinary

Have Cat Questions? Ask a Cat Vet Online.

Ask a Cat Veterinarian,

We have a new kitten and since the arrival both my other…

Customer Question
We have a new...

We have a new kitten and since the arrival both my other cats seem to have soar throats, swallow slot followed by a lick of the lips and raspy voice

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'm sorry to hear that. The Expert will know if the kitten will be able to digest that. What is the kitten's name?

What?

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about the kitten?

No, the pther cats. could thet have contracted something from the kitten?

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Cat Veterinary
Answered in 1 hour by:
10/6/2017
Cat Veterinarian: Dr. Gabby, Cat Veterinarian replied 8 months ago
Dr. Gabby
Dr. Gabby, Cat Veterinarian

Hello. My name is***** am happy to help you with your question. Give me just a moment to respond and type.

It sounds like they have "colds" which are caused by a virus.

If the kitten had any signs of having a cold then I would say that the kitten brought the virus into the house.

You can also bring the virus in on your shoes.

If that cats go outside they could have picked it up there as well.

So it is normally caused by a virus.

The symptoms should resolve in 7-10 days.

Keeping a humidifier in the room can help.

When you take a shower bring them into the bathroom and let them breathe in the steam.

Add water or low sodium broth to their food to increase fluid intake.

Warming the food can make it more fragrant which can help them eat. They do not eat well if they can not smell the food.

If they are sneezing and have nasal congestion human nasal saline drops can help soothe irritated nasal passages. 1-2 drops in each nostril twice a day.

You can give the human antihistamine Zyrtec for sneezing as well. 1/4 of a 10 mg tablet every 24 hours as needed.

Signs they need to see the vet are:

Not eating for 24 hours

Severe lethargy

Pale, purple, or abnormal gum color

Open mouth breathing

Coughing

Wheezing

Yellow, green, or bloody nasal drainage

Squinting eyes and eye drainage

Did all of that make sense? Do you have any other questions?

If you are all set please rate my answer by clicking on the stars so the website knows I have answered your question.

Many Thanks

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr. Gabby