Cat Veterinary

Have Cat Questions? Ask a Cat Vet Online.

Ask a Cat Veterinarian,

My cat has been meowing loudly the past few hours and has…

Customer Question
Hi, my cat has...

Hi, my cat has been meowing loudly the past few hours and has begun vomiting. he is throwing up water/clear. he has been very "quiet" the last couple of days, and now this is happening tonight. his nose is cold. I don't know what to do for him.

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'm sorry to hear that. Hopefully it didn't make a mess. Did your cat eat anything unusual?

I don't think so. He is one of three cats. the others are ok. they all eat the same food. the others seem ok.

Veterinarian's Assistant: OK. The Expert will know what to do. What is the cat's name?

Lucky

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Lucky?

No. He is such a sweet boy, this is breaking my heart. He is a rescue, I've had him four years, always been in good health. I'm so worried and I don't know what to do. He has stopped meowing is quiet now. But I honestly don't know how to help him. Its night time and Ive never had a sick cat before.

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Cat Veterinary
10/6/2017
Cat Veterinarian: Pet Doc, Cat Veterinarian replied 8 months ago
Pet Doc
Pet Doc, Cat Veterinarian

Hi there,

Thanks for your question regarding your boy Lucky who began vomiting around a couple of hours ago. I am currently typing up a response and will have something for you in the next few minutes.

Thank you for your patience.

Kind Regards,

Dr E

Hi again,

Thank you for your patience. There are a number of things that could be going on here with Lucky this evening to cause this clear vomit, and we need to consider anything from an infectious gastroenteritis, to a toxicity (hopefully there isn't anything that he could have gotten into), to intestinal worms or even a foreign body obstruction. You will definitely need to continue to keep a close eye on him, and if this vomiting continues, then you will need to get him seen by your local ER or after hours vet tonight. Likewise, if he seems particularly lethargic now, you are best to try and find a local after hours vet to check him over straight away.

For now, make sure Lucky has plenty of fresh water available and encourage him to drink. The biggest concern right now is that he could become dehydrated. If he won't drink or can't keep water down, then you are best to get him seen by your local ER vet tonight where they can start him on some intravenous (IV) fluids. You can with hold his food until the morning now, and from then you can start him on a bland diet of cooked, boneless, skinless chicken breast and boiled white rice. Don't worry about getting him to eat tonight, but definitely encourage him to drink now and over night. If he isn't interested in drinking, then you could try making him up a fresh chicken broth. For this, just boil up some fresh chicken until cooked, scoop off the solids, allow the liquid to cool, then feed him this luke-warm broth.

Over the next few hours, please keep a close eye on Lucky's mucus membranes, capillary refill time and respiratory rate as follows:

Mucus membranes - flip his lip and look at the color of his gums. They should maintain a nice salmon pink color. Get him to the emergency Vet if they appear white or very pale pink, or if they are a dark deep red color.

Capillary Refill time - this measures blood perfusion and test this by putting your thumb on his gum to apply pressure. After you release your thumb you will see the gum blanch. Capillary refill time is the amount of time it takes (in seconds) for the gum to return to a healthy pink color from the blanched white color. If 2 seconds or less don't worry - if it is taking significantly more time, again - off to the emergency Vet.

Respiratory Rate - if he is continuously panting throughout the night, this is a sign of shock and or pain and a signal for a trip to the emergency Vet.

Best of luck with Lucky and hopefully these symptoms settle in the next few hours. As above, if he can't keep water down, seems very lethargic, or if any of the parameters above don't seem right, then definitely play it safe and get him seen tonight. I hope all of the above makes sense? If you have more questions or if I can help in any other way, please do not hesitate to ask! If you would like to accept my answer, please press RATE OUR CONVERSATION (I am not compensated in any other way). Bonuses are always welcome. Thanks! I hope to work with you again soon!

Kind Regards,

Dr E

PS: If you have additional questions after you rate the question, you are welcome to request me for additional conversations if I am on-line or by beginning your question "Dr. E..." or "Pet-doc..." and others will leave the questions for me.

How did you get on with Lucky over the last couple of days? It would be great to get an update when you have a moment.
Dr E