Cat Veterinary

Have Cat Questions? Ask a Cat Vet Online.

Ask a Cat Veterinarian,

He hasn’t been eating and has lost weight. I assumed he just…

Customer Question
He hasn’t been eating...

He hasn’t been eating and has lost weight. I assumed he just couldn’t jump up onto the counter any longer to reach his food. I put the food bowl on the floor and assumed

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the cat's name and age?

He was eating “in secret.” His name is ***** ***** he is approx. 10 yo. Well, I have come to the conclusion that he is not eating,and I have not seen him drink. I gave him some Sheba wet food yesterday (turkey),and he wolfed it down. Today, he’s only eating a little bit at a time. It’s been twice today. He is also somewhat lethargic and is hiding in our laundry room. He won’t sit in his favorite chair or with me or my husband. He is usually a very loud purring cat, but not the past few days. I see no evidence in the litter boxes of voiding.

Veterinarian's Assistant: Could be a lot of things that cause lethargy. The Expert will know how to help Snowball. Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Snowball?

Not that I can think of.

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Cat Veterinary
10/5/2017
Cat Veterinarian: Dr. Peter, Veterinarian replied 8 months ago
Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian

Hi, I'm Dr. Peter. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm reviewing your question now and will post back with your reply ASAP.

I am sorry to learn Snowball is not eating. I will do my best to help you today. First I need to ask you a few questions so that I can be well informed and give you the best advice.

1- Any vomiting, diarrhea or coughing?

2- Is he strictly indoors?

3- Any pre existing medical conditions?

4- Any other symptoms?

He vomited a small amount of food just once 2 days ago. He is an indoor cat. No preexisting conditions. I see no evidence whatsoever in any of the litter boxes.

1- Can you take a look at his gums and see if they are pink or pale?

they are a light pink

Please give me 5 minutes to type your answer. Thank you.

Friend, lethargy and decreased appetite are very non-specific symptoms and can be related to many different medical conditions that affect cats. Unfortunately, on history only I will not be able to pinpoint the exact underlying cause, I am sorry. But, common possible causes could be dental disease, infections, a fever, ingestion of a foreign body, kidney or liver disease, etc. to name a few causes.
In this case, Snowball will need a hands on examination by your family veterinarian, blood work (chemistry profile & CBC) and urinalysis as an initial screening test to determine the exact underlying cause. Treatment will be based on exam and test results. If cost is a concern I would look into your local ASPCA or Shelter where they often offer veterinary services at a lower cost.

I realize that this answer may not be entire to your liking, and I regret being the bearer of information that you really don’t want to hear. But it would be unfair to you and unprofessional of me were I to provide you with anything less than truthful and honest information. I hope you understand.

My goal is to provide you with excellent service. If you have any follow-up questions don't hesitate to ask. If finished, please take a moment to rate my service. See you again soon!

Dr. Peter

i understand. i was hoping to avoid the expensive vet bill! i will call my regular vet for an appointment tomorrow.

Very often we do help you avoid a vet bill. But, unfortunately, not in this case, I am sorry.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr. Peter