Cat Veterinary

Have Cat Questions? Ask a Cat Vet Online.

Ask a Cat Veterinarian,

I have a spayed female bob tailed cat that we found as a…

Customer Question
Hello. I have...

Hello. I have a spayed female bob tailed cat that we found as a stray kitten 9 yrs. ago. She has been healthy up until lately. She started losing weight. Last month my regular vet was on vacation; so I had the local mobile vet to come to my house. He did all kinds of blood work on her and said all looked "pretty good" (he did check her liver enzymes). Regular vet is back in town and I took Berry (thats my cat's name) to her to have her teeth cleaned last Tuesday and discussed with her Berry's symptoms. When I picked Berry up that afternoon, regular vet I use said she looked a bit "yellow". I called the mobile vet and requested he mail the regular vet all the test results for her to look over. My regular vet is really good, older and semi retired; she mentioned if I ever had Berry tested for feline leukemia and I never did because we found her at approx 3 months old and she's been totally indoors since, for 9 yrs . I have 3 other indoor cats and if Berry has feline leukemia, would they have showed symptoms by now? I've had all my cats for 9-12 years.

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'm sorry to hear that. Strange behavior is often perplexing. I'm sure the Veterinarian can help you. What is the kitten's name?

Her name is*****: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Berry?

She is 9 and always very healthy, but has always been a bit shy. My oldest cat is Kia and we got her from the shelter when she was a kitten and she's 13 now, very healthy and robust. My question is whether feline leukemia cuold have been dormant in Berry for 9 years? All my cats never go outdoors.

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Cat Veterinary
10/5/2017
Cat Veterinarian: PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse replied 7 months ago
PitRottMommy
PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse

Hello, JACustomer. I have been a Veterinary Nurse for over 15 years and would be happy to help you today. I'm reviewing your question right now.

Feline leukemia doesn't always show obvious signs. So, no, it's not a given that they would show signs if they had it. In fact, there's no guarantee they'd even have it. I would be quite surprised if feline leukemia was present, in fact, as cats tend to have slow health failure over a few years when feline leukemia is present. That said, it's impossible to say she couldn't live for 9 years if she had it. I would certainly consider having her checked to be 100% certain. If she is positive, you may also want to have the other cats checked in your household, as well.

I hope this information has been helpful. I will be standing by if you have other questions. Let me know if I can help further. Also, before signing off today, please take the time to use the star rating system at the top of the page to leave a rating for me (bottom of the page if using the app). A 5-star rating is appreciated as top notch answers are my focus. If you feel you have received anything less, please reply so that I may help until you’ve received the assistance you need. Until you issue a rating, the website will not compensate me for helping you. You will still be able to chat with me even after issuing a rating at no further charge on this thread.

I will also check in with you over the next few days to be sure you don’t need any additional assistance. If you would like to request me in the future for pet-related questions, you can do so by accessing this page: http://www.justanswer.com/pet/expert-pitrottmommy/?rpt=3800

Checking in. How is Berry?

Hi Marcia,
I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
PitRottMommy
PitRottMommy
PitRottMommy
PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse