Cat Veterinary

Have Cat Questions? Ask a Cat Vet Online.

Ask a Cat Veterinarian,

My cat goes to the litter box every few minutes it seems and…

Customer Question
My cat goes to...

My cat goes to the litter box every few minutes it seems and squats like he is going to urinate

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. What is wrong with your cat?

I don't know

Veterinarian's Assistant: Where does your cat seem to hurt?

He doesn't act like he hurts anywhere

Veterinarian's Assistant: OK. No obvious pain. What is the cat's name and age?

He is about 5 years old

Veterinarian's Assistant: What is the cat's name?

Hermes

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Cat Veterinary
10/5/2017
Cat Veterinarian: Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian replied 7 months ago
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian

You're speaking with Dr. Michael Salkin. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm currently typing up my reply. Please be patient. This may take a few minutes.

When a male cat is stranguric - frequent attempts to urinate little or no urine - and perhaps licks his genitals excessively, idiopathic cystitis (FUS, FLUTS) must be the most important consideration and this inflammation of the bladder can cause abundant amounts of both mucus and grit to form in the bladder which can ball up and form tiny plugs of material which then block the small diameter urethra in these male cats. This, then, describes the classic "blocked cat" and a cat that can't urinate for as little as 36 hours will go into renal failure. It's essential that Hermes be checked by his vet at your earliest convenience. If he is blocked, he'll need to be catheterized and have his bladder emptied. The catheter is usually kept in place for 24 hours and then removed to see if my patient is now able to urinate freely. Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.

He has been like this for a couple of days already. What causes this?

It's considered idiopathic (unknown cause). Thankfully, he hasn't blocked (yet) and so treatment in the form of supplemental fluids given subcutaneously in an attempt to dilute his urine of noxious substances, feeding wet food only, and an analgesic (nonsteroidal antiinflammatory drug or narcotic) should be considered at this time. Please continue our conversation if you wish.

I am noticing that Everytime he finds a spot on my carpet to-do this, there is only a drop of urine if anything.

That's very worrisome. Such a patient can become obstructed within minutes.

What do you mean? What could happen or what needs to be done

His urethra could become obstructed and if he can't pass urine for as little as 36 hours, he'll go into renal failure. Blocked cats need to be catheterized and given supplemental fluids and analgesics. Please review my initial response to you timestamped 7:34 AM (my time).

he would have to stay at the vets overnight for the procedure? What is the pricetag on such a treatment?

Yes, a catheter is left in for at least 24 hours. Regretfully, I can't know what you would be charged and so always ask for a written estimate prior to anything being done.

Thank you for your assistance. How soon should I try to get him in?

Now isn't too soon. You're quite welcome. I can't set a follow-up in this venue so please return to our conversation - even after rating - with an update at your convenience. You can bookmark this page for ease of return.

Ok sounds good.

Keep me posted, please.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
My cat was taken to the local vet, he fortunately was not blocked, however, they said he has a tiny bladder and was only able to squeeze about a tablespoon size amount of urine out of him to test. They said the walls were inflamed so they gave him an anti-inflammatory injection and an antibiotic injection. Sent him home with about 5 days worth of medication to finish. He started returning to normal a couple days later. We had to change his diet to can cat food.

Thank you for the update. Canned cat food (only) increases his water intake which then dilutes his urine of noxious substances. It's the most important part of his therapy.

Now he I seen him with some type of bug living in his fur, what is it and how can I get rid of them?

Please close this question by rating. My moderator requests that you open up a new request for a question unrelated to the original one.

Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian