Cat Veterinary

Have Cat Questions? Ask a Cat Vet Online.

Ask a Cat Veterinarian,

My nephew told me my cat ate a penny, I never personally saw…

Customer Question
My nephew told me...

My nephew told me my cat ate a penny, I never personally saw it, and since my nephew lies a lot, I tend not to believe everything he says. I was wondering if there are any precursors or symptoms of coin swallowing. It's been a few days and he's eating, drinking, and using the bathroom as normal. He doesn't yowl in pain when I touch and prod his belly, or act aggressively when I pick him up. Is there any definite way I can determine if he swallowed a coin before jumping to conclusions and taking him to the vet?

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'm sorry to hear that. The Expert will know if your cat will be able to digest that. What is the cat's name and age?

His name is ***** ***** he's almost 7 months old.

Submitted: 10 months ago.Category: Cat Veterinary
10/5/2017
Cat Veterinarian: Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian replied 10 months ago
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian

You're speaking with Dr. Michael Salkin. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm currently typing up my reply. Please be patient. This may take a few minutes.

I'm sorry that your question wasn't answered in a timely manner. One penny contains enough zinc to cause zinc toxicosis which is evidenced by anorexia, vomiting, diarrhea, lethargy, depression, pale or icteric (jaundiced) mucous membranes, sclera and skin. Orange-tinged feces may be noted. GI signs may begin minutes after ingestion. It doesn't sound as if Nox ingested a penny! Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.