Cat Veterinary

Have Cat Questions? Ask a Cat Vet Online.

Ask a Cat Veterinarian,

Although he was neutered at a age, JoJo started spraying all…

Customer Question
Although he was neutered...

Although he was neutered at a young age, JoJo started spraying all over the house. We have used all the recommended products included pheromone sprays. He does not desist. If he does not stop soon my brother in law will make us get rid of him and he is too tightly bonded to us to do well with that. Is there a surgery like with a skunk?

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'm sorry to hear that. Strange behavior is often perplexing. I'm sure the Veterinarian can help you. What is the cat's name and age?

JoJo 6 years old

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about JoJo?

He is a happy cat. we rescued him as a kitten of 6 mo from an abusive person. Since then he has received all the love he wishes to have

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Cat Veterinary
10/5/2017
Cat Veterinarian: Dr Scott Nimmo, Small Animal Veterinarian. replied 7 months ago
Dr Scott Nimmo, Small Animal Veterinarian.

Hi,I'm Dr Scott. Welcome to JustAnswer, I am working on your question now, you can expect a written reply sometime within the next ten minutes or so.

Hello again,

This is a very frustrating problem I know { From Personal experience } , however I have worked out an answer for you below.

Sadly there is no possible operation to help with this behaviour, but what I can do is to talk you through all the measure I know to help owners in this sort of situation, I know you may have tried some of these already, but I will include everything for the sake of completeness. The first thing to do is to have JoJo checked over by your vet regarding this problem, you should do so in case there is some medical problem or other at the root of his behaviour. While this may be unlikely this is your logical starting point as you would not want to miss medical causes. If he gets a clean bill of health at your vet then logically it must be a behavioural problem, truthfully this can be a difficult issue to resolve or even to suggest why it has actually suddenly started, though often it is a territorial issue of some kind.

Below are the sum total of the ideas which I have given to my clients as a practice handout over the years where their cats have behaved like your Jojo is doing.

1. When you clean up after where he has been dirty use one of the odour eliminator type solutions you can get from the vet or pet store. These work as they have a biological action like a washing machine soap powder and digest organic matter. In fact a dilute solution of such a soap powder is a good thing to use as well. If you just use normal soap and water it will smell fine to you but to JoJo it will still smell it afterwards, and if the place smells like a public toilet to him then he may use it as such! Make sure you leave the cleaning agent to soak for a while.

2. Best advice is to keep the litter trays well away from food or water bowls because that could be reason he acts as he does. Having an additional litter tray in another part of the house would be a good idea as well.

3. Change your cat litter to another brand which is very different in colour and texture from the brand you are using now. Also consider using earth from the garden or peat from the garden centre instead of cat litter, it is not quite so absorbent as cat litter in terms of smells etc. but it is much more natural for the cat and might bring him back into his litter tray. If this works then you can gradually switch back to commercial cat litter.

4. This could be your best idea : Some cats start to be dirty in the house in response to some anxiety, another cat in the house or neighbourhood etc. They may just have seen another cat through the window or smelled them under the front door. Products such as Feliway can help here, some of my clients swear by Feliway. Here is a link so you can read more about Feliway : LINK

5. Some cats respond to very low level tranquillisers such as Amitriptyline or Prozac where territorial anxiety concerning other cats is a factor but this is a last resort, it often works well though.

However I should be available online for you the next four or five hours today so please do not hesitate to get straight back to me if you would like to talk things over with me further.

Regards,

Dr Scott
Please be kind enough to rate my service to you after we have concluded our dialogue. Such feedback helps me maintain the quality of my answers.

Hello again,

I am just checking back to check if I can advise your further on JoJo's behavioural problem ...

Please get back to me and let me know how things are going.

Regards,

Dr Scott