Cat Veterinary

Have Cat Questions? Ask a Cat Vet Online.

Ask a Cat Veterinarian,

My cat is 16yrs old he's very thin but he's always ready to…

Customer Question
My cat is 16yrs old...
My cat is 16yrs old he's very thin but he's always ready to eat and seems to drink fine. Last night he was walking in circles with little stumbles. His eyes are huge can't see the iris. I saw him cleaning his face today but he doesn't leap off of the couch. He doesn't like to settle in he constantly wants to walk like he can't get comfotable.
Submitted: 10 months ago.Category: Cat Veterinary
Answered in 1 minute by:
10/4/2017
Cat Veterinarian: Dr. Kara, Veterinarian replied 10 months ago
Dr. Kara
Dr. Kara, Veterinarian

Hello, I'm Dr. Kara. I have over 20 years of experience as a veterinarian and I'd like to help. Please give me a moment to review your concerns.

I understand that your fellow Riley is very thin, has a great appetite, has dilated pupils and was walking in circles and stumbling last night.

Things that can cause dilated pupils that are unresponsive to light stimuli include diseases that affect the eye itself, especially the retina (the back of the eye that collects light stimuli and sends the information to the brain), the nerves that take information to the brain or the brain itself. In older cats hypertension, which can lead to retinal bleeding or detachment, is the most common cause of dilated pupils. Hypertension in cats is usually due to hyperthyroidism (a tumor of the thyroid gland that secretes excess thyroid hormones) or kidney failure. Less commonly it can be due to primary hyperaldosteronism, which is often due to an adrenal gland tumor.

In his case with his complex of symptoms I would be most suspicious of a thyroid gland tumor and hyperthyroidism. Hyperthyroidism or an overactive thyroid gland is usually caused by a thyroid gland tumor. It can put cats on edge as they are overstimulated, dilate their pupils, and can make them hungrier as well as it causes a ramped up metabolism where they burn more calories and can lose weight despite eating more. These things can lead to increased activity and an inability to settle. The increased hormone levels can cause hypertension which can lead to retinal bleeding and secondary blindness, thus lead to dilated pupils. Hypertension probably causes a headache, and detached retinas are uncomfortable too, so those things too could explain his inability to get comfortable. Hyperthyroidism can be diagnosed with a blood test.

If we act quickly and control his thyroid hormone levels and hypertension levels he may not lose all of his vision permanently, so I recommend a veterinary visit today if possible.

Please let me know if you have any further questions.

Hi Melody Hale,
I'm just following up on our conversation about Riley. How is everything going?
Dr. Kara

Hello, I wanted to make sure that you didn't have any further questions for me, and I'd like to know how things turned out for your kitty. If you could give me an update that would be great, thank you, ***** *****