Cat Veterinary

Have Cat Questions? Ask a Cat Vet Online.

Ask a Cat Veterinarian,

I have 2 cats that are completely lethargic wont eat or

Customer Question
I have 2 cats...

I have 2 cats that are completely lethargic wont eat or drink and seem to be paralyzed in one leg. I recently brought in a stray kitten for a few days and got rid of it shortly after. I'm hoping that this didnt get them sick.

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'm sorry to hear that. Could be a lot of things that cause lethargy. The Expert will know how to help the stray kitten. What is the kitten's name?

I have Biggie who is 7 yrs old and Smalls who is about 10 months old.

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about the stray kitten?

It seemed healthy but I guess it was not.

Submitted: 10 months ago.Category: Cat Veterinary
They both seem disoriented and fatigued. I was doing some reading and believe they may have had seizures.
Answered in 1 hour by:
10/4/2017
Cat Veterinarian: Cher, Feline Specialist replied 10 months ago
Cher
Cher, Feline Specialist

Hi, I'm Cher. Welcome to JustAnswer.

I'm reviewing your question now and will post back with your reply, shortly.

Hello, again.

I'm sorry that both your cat are showing the same symptoms, of disorientation and fatigue and also not interested in eating or drinking. Your theory that they may have caught something from the stray kitten, is very possible, especially if your cats are not up to date on their vaccinations. Even if they are up to date, you have no idea what kind of virus or infection the kitten may have been carrying.

In addition to the stray kitten theory, since both cats are exhibiting the same symptoms, it's possible they have ingested some sort of poison or were exposed to a toxin, like a spider bite, that was venomous, and this could have caused the seizures they may have had.

At this moment, it would be best for them to be seen in person by a vet, so they can be examined in person and blood can be drawn, to ascertain what is causing their symptoms. Once a diagnosis is made, they will receive medication, if necessary, to help them get well.

I hope all will be well with your two kitties and please let me know how they are doing and what the vet's findings are. Thanks!

I'll check back with you in a few days for an update..

I hope you feel that I have given you Great Service. If so, a 5 star rating would be appreciated. Your rating should be based solely on my answer and not any site issue. Experts are not compensated for their assistance, until a positive rating is given.

If you have any other, related questions, please reply here, and I'll be happy to follow up with you at no additional charge, even after you have rated.

Thank you very much!

Warmest wishes,

Cher