Cat Veterinary

Have Cat Questions? Ask a Cat Vet Online.

Ask a Cat Veterinarian,

Kitten anus fills with poop but she doesn't make it come…

Customer Question
Kitten anus fills with...

Kitten anus fills with poop but she doesn't make it come out..I have to squeeze it out

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the kitten's name?

No name yet..and it stinks bad..it's yekkow/brown

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about the kitten?

She's 3 months old

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Cat Veterinary
10/4/2017
Cat Veterinarian: Rebecca, Cat Veterinarian replied 7 months ago
Rebecca, Cat Veterinarian

Thank you for using Just Answer. My name is Rebecca; I am a veterinarian. Please give me a moment to type my answer.

I am sorry to hear you are worried about your kitten. Is she by any chance a Manx or part Manx?

Has she ever been able to pass poop her own?

Not a Manx..she either has the runs or seems plugged up..I have her on probitic powder in her water. If I don't put it in..she gets diarhea..when I keep her on it..seems like she can't poop. She's a long hair so it's constant cleaning of her rear and tail and legs. She has pooped on her own but I think it's only because it backed itself out.

Manx and part Manx kittens can have "spina bifida" and never have normal control of their bowel movements.

If she does not seem to ever be able to pass stool on her own, she may have some congenital neurologic condition, where she does not have the control of her anus and colon that she should. Has she been checked by a veterinarian for this?

Has a stool sample been looked at microscopically for parasites?

None of the above..she was the runt and never seemed to grow. She has been wormed twice and that's it. I'm fostering her till she's adopted, but I don't see that happening till I can get this under control.

If this is due to parasites, you may not get it under control until she is given medication for the particular parasite she has. There are different medications for different parasites.

If this is a congenital neurologic problem, there may not be a cure or treatment.

Is there anything you can prescribe for parasites? I don't have funds to visit our vet..that's why I'm on here

You have to find out what parasite you are treating. If it is Giardia, you need fenbendazole or metronidazole. If it is Coccidia, you need Albon. If it is tritrichomonas, you need to special order the medication.

I cannot write a prescription for a kitten I can't see and examine; only a veterinarian who has examined her can prescribe anything.

only lab tests will answer this??
Where do these parasites come from?? None of my other cats are sick

If this kitten has parasites, it would have come from its mother or its environment. She may have had them when you got her, but they do not necessarily spread to other cats.

Only lab tests will tell you if there are parasites; most are too small to see without a microscope.

She may have an infection (which also may not necessarily infect other cats and kittens) and need antibiotics.

Can you prescribe antibiotics and see if that helps?
I can provide number of Giant Eagle Pharmacy and I can pick it up

As I said above, I can't prescribe for a kitten I can't see and examine; that is illegal. Only a veterinarian who has seen her, examined her, has a "client patient relationship" with her can prescribe for her.

Okay..then what is this service for then? What am I paying for?
Antibiotics surely can't hurt and might help
well this didn't help then

You are paying for my advice. It says in the disclaimer we can't diagnose or prescribe; this website is for information.

it's not illegal..I have an online doctor prescribe my meds..called into my pharmacy

You can try canned pumpkin. You can try a different probiotic, such as Fortiflora or Proviable.

I am sorry, but is is a violation of my veterinary license to prescribe for a kitten I have not seen and examined. An online physician can talk to you and develop a client patient relationship with you. Although you can "talk" for your kitten, it is not considered to be the same. With veterinarians, we have to physically examine the kitten.

With her not being able to pass stool, I am worried about a congenital neurologic condition. Usually kittens with diarrhea do not have trouble passing stool, and needing help like you describe.

Rebecca, Cat Veterinarian