Cat Veterinary

Have Cat Questions? Ask a Cat Vet Online.

Ask a Cat Veterinarian,

Last night my cat threw up 5 times in a ten hour period. She…

Customer Question
Last night my cat...

Last night my cat threw up 5 times in a ten hour period. She has no other symptoms. Should I be worried?

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'm sorry to hear that. Hopefully it didn't make a mess. Did your cat eat anything unusual?

No, she rarely goes outside and I have been home the last few days, and she did not go out. the only thing I can think of is she got ahold of a little bit of milk that belonged to my landlady's cats. Might that do it?

Veterinarian's Assistant: OK. The Expert will know what to do. Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about your cat?

Well, I adopted her over a year ago and she had some issues. She eats a prescription cat food called digestive care

Submitted: 10 months ago.Category: Cat Veterinary
10/4/2017
Cat Veterinarian: Dr. Kara, Veterinarian replied 10 months ago
Dr. Kara
Dr. Kara, Veterinarian

Hello, I'm Dr. Kara. I have over 20 years of experience as a veterinarian and I'd like to help. Please give me a moment to review your concerns.

I'm very sorry to hear that your cat vomited 5 times within a 10 hour period.

Has she vomited at all today?

Is she back to eating and drinking normally and passing normal stools and urine?

In short yes, I would be concerned, but how concerned depends upon how she is feeling now. If she is behaving her usual self, no longer vomiting, and is eating, drinking and eliminating normally then I would be much less concerned.

Most cats are lactose intolerant as adults, and if she already has a sensitive stomach it is possible that she was reacting to the milk. Although generally cats have diarrhea and gas secondary to ingesting milk, perhaps she reacted more strongly than most.

However if she is still vomiting, is refusing to eat and seems lethargic then I recommend that she see her veterinarian for an examination and possibly some testing depending upon what her exam shows.

Please let me know if you have any further questions.

Hello, I wanted to make sure that you didn't have any further questions for me, and I'd like to know how things turned out for your kitty. If you could give me an update that would be great, thank you, ***** *****