Cat Veterinary

Have Cat Questions? Ask a Cat Vet Online.

Ask a Cat Veterinarian,

He's squatting over his litter box for several minutes uses.

Customer Question
He's squatting over his...

He's squatting over his litter box for several minutes uses

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. What is wrong with the cat?

He is watching over his litter box for several minutes I noticed that he wasn't undulating his midsection like he were going number two. I picked up his hind end to see if there was anything going on down there or in the letter but nothing. I noticed that his midsection was inflated . We were gone for two days and she stayed at home without being let out at all for approximately 26 hours . He hadn't had any kind of a problem before we were gone so I think that is how long he's had a problem this is a 26 hours at the most. He is a very healthy 14-year-old and has never had any health issues. Except for I think that he is developing arthritis in his hips . I'm concerned about him having blockage obviously he does have some right now , and if it is life-threatening , and how long I should wait . Also if he were to need surgery, how much would that cost approximately. Every time we go to this vet hospital I always feel like we're getting overcharged .

Veterinarian's Assistant: Where does the cat seem to hurt?

He a healthy cat about 14 years old and seems to be having trouble urinating. It started this morning.

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about the cat?

He has issues walking and I think he's developing arthritis.

Veterinarian's Assistant: Did the cat have a fall?

About 5 years ago we came home from Arizona and he was limping, my husband was the baby sitter.

Submitted: 10 months ago.Category: Cat Veterinary
10/3/2017
Cat Veterinarian: Scott Perry, Cat Veterinarian replied 10 months ago
Scott Perry
Scott Perry, Cat Veterinarian

Hello. My name is***** and I am a veterinarian that can answer your question. I understand your cat is having difficulty urinating. I am sorry to hear about this problem. Have you noticed any feces or urine in his litter box for the last 26 hours or is it completely empty?

No feces, a few spots of urine. He is a bit bloated in his midsection.

Thank you for the information. I am writing my response now. Please bear with me a few moments.

We were gone for 26 hours and he is an indoor outdoor cat but mostly outdoors during the summertime . He's lanky and not skinny but I noticed his belly was a little puffy this morning. He was having trouble in the letterbox this morning.
He stayed home and inside while we were gone and was just fine when we left.

This certainly sounds like a primary problem of a urinary blockage, which is something seen more often with male cats. It is usually painful and cats will make frequent attempts to urinate without much success. Oftentimes, there is blood in the urine as observed with a pink tinge. Cats will also leak on the floor occasionally. The fact that he is bloated in his midsection indicates that he is likely painful and the bladder may be enlarged. This is always an emergency at the moment this behavior is observed. Over time, the potassium in the urine begins to back up into the blood and that can cause severe consequences on the heart.

A veterinarian could determine if this is a urinary blockage by feeling the bladder, which will feel large and hard to the touch. If that is found then a procedure to relieve the obstruction is pursued, which can cost $500-800. Ideally, he should be hospitalized until the urine amount and color returns to normal, which can take 2-3 days. The costs may increase over $800 the longer he is hospitalized.

Please let me know if you have any other questions. I am here to help. If you have no other questions, I would appreciate a positive review. You may leave up to 5 stars when ready. Your review helps connect Experts with other customers, so your input is highly appreciated.