Cat Veterinary

Have Cat Questions? Ask a Cat Vet Online.

Ask a Cat Veterinarian,

She has been having stiff, not soft fur and large clumps or…

Customer Question
She has been having...

She has been having stiff, not soft fur and large clumps or matts of fur that she tears off, but it is still bad. And now I see my other cat getting this on her back & rear hip area

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the cat's name and age?

Cali, 6 yrs female calico, Kitty, 3 yrs female calico. both spayed

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Cali?

Cali is pretty chunky. I did change their food thinking that may have been an issue, but it hasn't changed anything. I feed them grain free, high quality food.

Submitted: 10 months ago.Category: Cat Veterinary
10/3/2017
Cat Veterinarian: Dr. Sara, Veterinarian replied 10 months ago
Dr. Sara
Dr. Sara, Veterinarian

Hi this is Dr. Sara. It sounds like the kitties are developing large matts of hair. These can build up pretty quickly and are painful. This is probably why they are grooming them off in clumps. Have you considered having them groomed, and is there a place near you that would shave them(which is what they need if the matts are that tight).

I did have an appointment with their vet, but the office cancelled my appointments twice, so I figured I would see if there was a home remedy. I have combed her, cut off what I could, used pet wipes, and used a thinning comb, but the mats keep coming back and her fur feels stiff and greasy almost. Not soft and fluffy like her head and chest. Now the other cat is getting that way and I'm concerned it's contagious .

Don't worry, it's not contagious. Do you have a groomer in the area that would try? If she has to be put under anesthesia you will need to take her to a vet office. Maybe if your hospital can't help you, there is another one in the area that is willing to help?