Cat Veterinary

Have Cat Questions? Ask a Cat Vet Online.

Ask a Cat Veterinarian,

He is constpated I gave him a children glycerin suppository…

Customer Question
He is constpated I...

He is constpated I gave him a children glycerin suppository n it helped for about a week his belly is hard again so I was thing of giving him another one do u think that would be ok, he also seems to have a very leaky bladder I ordered something from petmd that's says it helps with urinary issues that should arrive today. Do u jave any other home remedies they may help him I cannot afford to get him to a vet til I get paid on the 13th

Veterinarian's Assistant: The Veterinarians require payment for their services. It's way less expensive on JustAnswer than face-to-face would cost.

How mich

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the cat's name?

Jakey hopper

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about the cat?

I don't know if something may have happened to him when he was outside his tail is just kinda hanging down limp but I can move all his extremities n he don't seem to be in pain he just can't poop n when he does its super hard n he is just constantly leaking uring

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Cat Veterinary
10/3/2017
Cat Veterinarian: Dr. Kara, Veterinarian replied 8 months ago
Dr. Kara
Dr. Kara, Veterinarian

Hello, I'm Dr. Kara. I have over 20 years of experience as a veterinarian and I'd like to help. Please give me a moment to review your concerns.

This sounds like Jakey Hopper has damage to his spinal cord, which is a soft tissue structure and so this won't show up on radiographs. He may need an MRI to fully diagnose his condition and give you an idea of whether he can be expected to improve.

If he goes outdoors the most common cause of these symptoms is a tail pull injury or tailhead trauma.

This occurs when a cat falls and lands on his tailhead/back of the pelvis or the tail gets caught (by another animal or a car) and pulled hard enough that the caudal spinal cord is stretched. Sometimes the nerves are just stretched, but in some cases they break and when that happens the damage can be permanent. Cats may not show the full extent of their injury for several days as secondary inflammation and nerve death occur. With poor spinal cord function the colon may not empty as it should, leading to a build up of stool. You can use 1/2 of a children's glycerin suppository to try to help get the stool to pass. But my concern is whether this will be something he can recover from, or is there permanent damage. Likewise poor spinal cord function can cause poor urethral tone and urine dribbling, or a bladder that isn't emptying as it should leading to overflow incontinence. Either would predispose him to chronic urinary tract infections.

Treatment is with steroids. My concern is that he is having trouble controlling his eliminations, that means prognosis for improvement is very guarded.

The other possible causes of his condition are an intervertebral disc protrusion putting pressure on his spinal cord, a blood clot, granuloma (can be inflammatory or from a parasite encysting there) or mass/tumor within the spinal cord canal which places pressure on his spinal cord.

If it hasn't been done I highly recommend that he be tested for feline leukemia and feline immunodeficiency virus which predispose to cancers, and the toxoplasmosis parasite.

He may need warm water enemas on and off to remove impacted stools too if he cannot pass them on his own.

If this is indeed a spinal cord injury it may take weeks to months to heal, and they can get worse before they get better as inflammation after the injury sets in.

I know that you are short on funds but I don't think Jakey can wait another few weeks to be seen. If your regular veterinarian is beyond your means financially now your other option is to contact your local shelter or humane society and see if they run a low cost clinic or know of one in your area.

If not here is a web-page that lists some that may be able to help:

http://www.humanesociety.org/animals/resources/tips/trouble_affording_pet.html?credit=web_id91754962#Assistance_by_state

Other sources of help can be found here: http://speakingforspot.com/?p=Financial%20Assistance%20for%20Veterinary%20Care

Best of luck with Jakey Hopper, please let me know if you have any further questions.

Hello, I wanted to make sure that you didn't have any further questions for me, and I'd like to know how things turned out for your kitty. If you could give me an update that would be great, thank you, ***** *****

Dr. Kara
Dr. Kara
Dr. Kara, Veterinarian