Cat Veterinary

Have Cat Questions? Ask a Cat Vet Online.

Ask a Cat Veterinarian,

A male cat came around the other day and had a fight with my…

Customer Question
A male cat came...

A male cat came around the other day and had a fight with my cat. Since then, Jake (my cat) seemed to get depressed and slowed down eating. yesterday he stopped eating all together - even his Temptations that he loves. This morning he vomited with nothing coming up. Also, he stopped drinking water yesterday and I found nothing in his litter so he apparently is not using the bathroom as well.

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'm sorry to hear that. Hopefully it didn't make a mess. Did your cat eat anything unusual?

Not that I know of. He is an inside/outside cat so I am not sure.

Veterinarian's Assistant: OK. The Expert will know what to do. What is the cat's name and age?

Jake and he is 3 1/2

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Jake?

He is up to date on all his shots first of all. This other cat was a kitten and my cat wouldn't fight him but the cat attacked and may have sratched or bit him but I cannot see anything on him. I don't know if the cat was someone's cat or wild. Extremely friendly to humans though.

Submitted: 10 months ago.Category: Cat Veterinary
10/3/2017
Cat Veterinarian: Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian replied 10 months ago
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian

You're speaking with Dr. Michael Salkin. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm currently typing up my reply. Please be patient. This may take a few minutes.

I'm sorry that your question wasn't answered in a timely manner. Please let me know if you still need help. May I have an update on Jake, please?

Infections that that kitten may have carried have incubation periods longer than would cause Jake to become symptomatic of the infections. My primary concern is that Jake is now febrile because he was bitten and you're seeing evidence of a bite would cellulitis (inflammation of the tissue) which will progress to a bite wound abscess if not attended to by Jake's vet at your earliest convenience.

Jake is ill enough in any event and so his vet will want to perform a thorough physical exam on him perhaps including diagnostics in the form of blood and urine tests.