Cat Veterinary

Have Cat Questions? Ask a Cat Vet Online.

Ask a Cat Veterinarian,

My cat is constipated and unable to obtain any relief. I…

Customer Question
Hello. My cat is...

Hello. My cat is constipated and unable to obtain any relief. I took him to the vet 4 days ago where he received an enema and some medicine to help. He has not pooped in several days. I've tried administering the medicine the vet gave me, as well as mixing pumpkin into his food, but nothing seems to be helping.

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'm sorry to hear that. Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Constipated?

When he does try to poop, he is discharging a small amount of a clear mucus mixed with some blood. He's very uncomfortable, does not like to be touched for normal periods of time, has trouble laying down and getting into a comfortable position. He's 9 years old, FIV+ and FLV+.

Submitted: 10 months ago.Category: Cat Veterinary
10/3/2017
Cat Veterinarian: Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian replied 10 months ago
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian

You're speaking with Dr. Michael Salkin. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm currently typing up my reply. Please be patient. This may take a few minutes.

I'm sorry that your question wasn't answered in a timely manner. Please note that after a thorough enema ("high colonic") a cat may not defecate for many days because there isn't enough feces formed to stimulate defecation - particularly if a cat isn't eating well. Addtionally, his colon may be damaged to the point that it has lost its nervous innervation and can't detect when feces is present. This may be the case in an FIV and FeLV+ cat and is now evidenced by an ulcerative colitis (the bloody mucus). These cats, then, can't respond to cisapride - the most common drug prescribed for an atonic (lack of muscular control) colon - and are surgical candidates for a subtotal colonic resection. Which medicine was prescribed, please?

My vet gave me Lactulose 10g/15ml. I've been giving him 1ml a day for the past 4 days.

Thank you. Lactulose works by drawing fluid into the bowel which makes stools softer and easier to pass. It doesn't stimulate defecation, however, and so if it hasn't been helpful, a bulk laxative such as psyllium seed (e.g., Metamucil) should be considered. This is dosed at a teaspoon of seed mixed into each wet food meal. Cisapride is another consideration but I would first address a possible ulcerative colitis with metronidazole (Flagyl) plus a broad spectrum antibiotic considering his viral status which has predisposed him to overwhelming bacterial infections. Please continue our conversation if you wish.