Cat Veterinary

Have Cat Questions? Ask a Cat Vet Online.

Ask a Cat Veterinarian,

My cat Samba is 17 years old. In the last month her eating…

Customer Question
My cat Samba is...

My cat Samba is 17 years old. In the last month her eating has diminished. She's had three enemas so far

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. What is wrong with your cat?

Is it ok to get her in for another one ? It's been a week since shes had a bowel movement

Veterinarian's Assistant: Where does your cat seem to hurt?

She doesn't seem to be in pain

Veterinarian's Assistant: OK. No obvious pain. What is the cat's name?

Samba

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Samba?

We lost her brother last year. She could be depressed too? In the last three months I haven't been around much. She was peeing and pooing in different places around the house before she stopped eating the way she usually does

Submitted: 10 months ago.Category: Cat Veterinary
10/2/2017
Cat Veterinarian: Dr. Sara, Veterinarian replied 10 months ago
Dr. Sara
Dr. Sara, Veterinarian

Hi, this is Dr. Sara. Sorry Samba isn't feeling so well. Older kitties are a bit more fragile. Usually the issue with constipation in an older cat can have an underlying cause such as kidney disease. Not that they are related, but the kitty gets dehydrated because the kidneys are losing too much water out of the body and the stool gets hard. Then the colon gets stretched out and harder for the muscles to contract. Has Samba had any blood work done and is she on any medication for the constipation?