Cat Veterinary

Have Cat Questions? Ask a Cat Vet Online.

Ask a Cat Veterinarian,

She has the oil on her fur from poison ivy. and i just don't…

Customer Question
She has the oil...

She has the oil on her fur from poison ivy. and i just don't know where all it can be at her. Everywhere?

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'm sorry to hear that. Did you see what the cat ate?

No

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about the cat?

Not that i know of

Submitted: 10 months ago.Category: Cat Veterinary
10/2/2017
Cat Veterinarian: Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian replied 10 months ago
Dr. John
Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian

Hello. Thanks for writing in. My name is***** and I would be happy to help you. I AM NOT SET UP TO MAKE PHONE CALLS, BUT I WOULD BE HAPPY TO ANSWER ANY QUESTIONS YOU HAVE ONLINE. THE WEBSITE SENDS THE REQUESTS; NOT MYSELF. Luckily, cats are not usually affected by poison ivy. The exception would be those breeds with a very short hair coat or hairless breeds. They can transmit the oils to you, though. The best thing to do at this point is to bath her with a dish soap, such as Dawn to remove as much of the oils as possible. It may take bathing a couple times. If she won't allow bathing, you can try wiping her down with baby wipes, or you can just get her to your vet/groomer to get a bath. When handling her at home, make sure you use some type of rubber glove. Please let me know if you have any other questions or concerns. Hope this helps.

My goal is to make sure that you get all your question answered and all the information you need. IF YOU ARE SATISFIED WITH MY ANSWER, PLEASE RATE IT. Rating it is the only way I get compensated for helping you, and we can still continue our conversation after rating. If you feel like it is not helpful to you, or if there is more information you need, please respond back to me before rating. Asking more specific questions usually helps a lot. Realize that our conversation is not intended to diagnose or treat a condition. There has to be a valid veterinary-client-patient relationship established with an exam, according to law. You should always follow up with your vet.

Hello. I was just following up to see how your cat is doing and to see if you have any other questions.