Cat Veterinary

Have Cat Questions? Ask a Cat Vet Online.

Ask a Cat Veterinarian,

Vet states he has an enlarged colon (he's 7 yrs old) and now…

Customer Question
Vet states he has...

Vet states he has an enlarged colon (he's 7 yrs old) and now on new food he won't eat and won't drink.

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the cat's name?

Toby

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Toby?

He seems to stretch much more than usual and now hides under the bed. He weights 24 lbs and is a yellow tabby. Normally very lovey, but doesn't seem to act like himself. By the way, he will only drink from the kitchen faucet...

Submitted: 10 months ago.Category: Cat Veterinary
10/2/2017
Cat Veterinarian: Rebecca, Cat Veterinarian replied 10 months ago
Rebecca, Cat Veterinarian

Thank you for using Just Answer. My name is Rebecca; I am a veterinarian. Please give me a moment to type my answer.

I am sorry to hear you are worried about Toby. Is he constipated? Many cats with "megacolon", where the colon muscle has become weaker, allowing the colon to be stretched and enlarged, are constipated. When this happens, they often do not eat until the constipation is treated and medication for megacolon is given. Is Toby on any medication?