Cat Veterinary

Have Cat Questions? Ask a Cat Vet Online.

Ask a Cat Veterinarian,

My cat has tiny black dots in her fur that hatch into

Customer Question
My cat has tiny...

My cat has tiny black dots in her fur that hatch into miniscule little worm like creatures. What is this? They do seem to irritate her. We use Frontline combo on her regularly.

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'm sorry to hear that. There are all sorts of infestations your cat can pick up. I'll have you talk to the Veterinarian who'll sort out what is wrong and help you decide what to do about it. What is the cat's name and age?

Mary. She is a 16 month old British Blue. She had her booster injections 3 weeks ago.

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Cat Veterinary
10/2/2017
Cat Veterinarian: Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian replied 8 months ago
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian

You're speaking with Dr. Michael Salkin. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm currently typing up my reply. Please be patient. This may take a few minutes.

The tiny black dots are flea feces. It's the tiny white dots (flea eggs) that are hatching into flea larvae (the "miniscule little worm like creatures"). Many populations are now resistant to the fipronil in Frontline. It would be prudent to switch to one of the newer flea products in a different class of insecticide such as Activyl (indoxacarb), Cheristin (spinetoram), Comfortis (spinosad), or Vectra (dinotefuran & pyriproxyfen). These are all prescription products available through Mary's vet. You can purchase the oral Capstar (nitenpyram) over the counter in pet/feed stores, however, which will kill any fleas on Mary within minutes of your dosing her. Be sure to treat your premises with an over the counter area treatment spray that contains an insect growth regulator (IGR) such as Siphotrol Area Treatment Spray containing the IGR methoprene. The IGRs don't allow flea eggs and larvae to develop into adult fleas and so the life cycle of the flea is broken. Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.