Cat Veterinary

Have Cat Questions? Ask a Cat Vet Online.

Ask a Cat Veterinarian,

My cat has bumps around her neck and back of head. what

Customer Question
My cat has bumps...

My cat has bumps around her neck and back of head. what could be the cause of this

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the cat's name and age?

Skittles she is 3 years old

Veterinarian's Assistant: What is the cat's name?

I thought it might be ear mites but there is no odor or discharge form her ears

Veterinarian's Assistant: There are all sorts of infestations your cat can pick up. I'll have you talk to the Veterinarian who'll sort out what is wrong and help you decide what to do about it. Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about your cat?

No she is a normal healthy cat.

Submitted: 10 months ago.Category: Cat Veterinary
10/1/2017
Cat Veterinarian: Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian replied 10 months ago
Dr. John
Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian

Hello. Thanks for writing in. My name is***** and I would be happy to help you. I AM NOT SET UP TO MAKE PHONE CALLS, BUT I WOULD BE HAPPY TO ANSWER ANY QUESTIONS YOU HAVE ONLINE. THE WEBSITE SENDS THE REQUESTS; NOT MYSELF. In order to give an informative and concise answer, it may take a few minutes before I respond back to you, so don't be alarmed if you don't hear back immediately. If you have not responded back in 10 minutes, it may be a longer before I can get back to you. I do have a couple more questions, though, to see if I can better assess your situation.

Are these scabbed areas?

Are there other skin lesions, redness or hair loss; especially around the base of the tail?

Is she scratching often?

How much time does she spend outside?

Is she on a flea preventative every month? If so, which one?

There are no lesions or hair loss on the tail it's just bumps around the base of her neck under the jaw and a few on top of her head she does not go outside and yes she scatches constantly now currently not on a flea preventive med
I prefer not to call I have another cat that has a few bumps but neither are or have been outside pets

Thanks for the information. There are more than likely two probable causes of the scabs around the neck of cats. By far, the most common cause is fleas. I do warn owners to not rule out fleas just based on the fact that they are indoor only, and you do not see fleas. Indoor cats can get fleas very easily, and you may never ever see them because they groom so much. So, that is always my first thought, especially if both are scratching and have those scabs. The other possible cause is an allergy to something in the environment or, less commonly, food (even food they have eaten their whole life). An allergy would be less likely to affect both cats, but it is still possible. Those scabbed areas could part of a skin infection as well, but that is usually secondary to some other skin problem, such as allergies or fleas. I would have your vet check this out and look for any evidence of fleas (often I can find at least 1 on one of the cats). At the very least, if they are scratching often, they need some type of medication to get that under control. A steroid injection or short course of oral steroids (preferred) usually will do the trick. They may need to be on antibiotics for the skin if there is other evidence of an infection. I would absolutely talk to your vet about getting them on a good monthly flea preventative every month as well. Please let me know if you have any other questions or concerns. Hope this helps.

My goal is to make sure that you get all your question answered and all the information you need. IF YOU ARE SATISFIED WITH MY ANSWER, PLEASE RATE IT. Rating it is the only way I get compensated for helping you, and we can still continue our conversation after rating. If you feel like it is not helpful to you, or if there is more information you need, please respond back to me before rating. Asking more specific questions usually helps a lot. Realize that our conversation is not intended to diagnose or treat a condition. There has to be a valid veterinary-client-patient relationship established with an exam, according to law. You should always follow up with your vet.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
Dr. John

Hello. I was just following up to see how your cat is doing and to see if you have any other questions.