Cat Veterinary

Have Cat Questions? Ask a Cat Vet Online.

Ask a Cat Veterinarian,

My male cat is attacking his sister. Cats are litter

Customer Question
My male cat is...

My male cat is attacking his sister

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. What is the matter with the cat?

Cats are litter mates... female just had a shot for a u t i on tuesday male cat chased and grabbed female by neck this morning which initiated a lot of chasing and hissing from the female.

Veterinarian's Assistant: Strange behavior is often perplexing. I'm sure the Veterinarian can help you. What is the cat's name and age?

Male is 10... bob female is 10... zoey both are declawed indoor cats that we rescued from animal shelter 2 years ago

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Male?

Bob is 16.8 pounds and zoey is 10.2 pounds. there is a significant size difference but the female is more agile and a jumper.

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Cat Veterinary
Answered in 1 hour by:
10/1/2017
Cat Veterinarian: Dr G, Cat Veterinarian replied 7 months ago
Dr G
Dr G, Cat Veterinarian

Hi, I'm Dr G and I would like to help you out with your kitties. I'm sure this behaviour is very distressing, but let's see what we can do, ok?

When kitties go to the vet and come home smelling differently, that can really upset their home relationship. Also, one cat being ill can do this as well. Once they get upset about something, it can take awhile to put things back to rights. it's good that they were friends for so long, that make it better to reunite them.

here is what we can try

1) Separate them for a few days and let everyone calm down. If one cat has to be confined to a room, try not to make it the male and/or try to rotate so both cats get run time. They can still sniff each other under the door. If you happen to have a house where there is a screen door between two room, glass doors (like french doors) or you have a couple of baby gates, that would be the next step. (You can put the baby gates stacked up to let them see and smell each other more but not get over the gate to fight).

2) Using a product like Feliway Multicat, which you can get from a vet or sometimes from online places can really help. Your vet is most likely to have the newer, safer types of diffusers. This product is a plug in and uses a cat pheromone to help calm and reunite the cats.

3) When you do reunite them again, try putting a drop of vanilla extract wipes onto both their heads to help them smell the same- sometimes if the one cat thinks the other cat smells too "foreign" or like the vet, that will trigger them. When they do get introduced, try to talk calmly to them, poet them or brush them if they like that. Maybe offer some treats so that it is a calm and happy time. If catnip is calming, that can also be helpful for them.

Also, there is Catnip that has Silvervine- it is more relaxing than regular catnip- you can find it at some petstores or here:

https://www.amazon.com/Field-Ultimate-Blend-Silver-Catnip/dp/B01FXOLFBK/ref=sr_1_fkmr0_4?s=pet-supplies&ie=UTF8&qid=1506893216&sr=1-4-fkmr0&keywords=catnip+silvervine+tub

Another alternative, if you have a friend that is an essential oil seller- I only recommend the Pet line from Young Living- they have a product called T-Away that reduces stress. You could try that on both cats- follow the label directions carefully.

4) In very rare cases, longer separation or calming drugs for the male may be necessary. Your vet could help you with this. Most cats, if given a few days and slow reintroduction with some help- the Feliway, the vanilla scent, etc- will be ok.

Hello? Were you able to check your email and see your questions answered?
Dr G
Dr G
Dr G, Cat Veterinarian