Cat Veterinary

Have Cat Questions? Ask a Cat Vet Online.

Ask a Cat Veterinarian,

Shes very sick. We took her to a cat motel when we went to…

Customer Question
Hi! So shes very...

Hi! So shes very sick

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. What seems to be the problem with the cat?

We took her to a cat motel when we went to europe- shes 2 years old and had never been around this many cats or away in a place like this before we came back she got very ill and the hotel took her to the hospital long story short she had kidney failure

Veterinarian's Assistant: What is the cat's name?

When she was at home she was in the sink that was the only way she could drink matilda shes now home after fluids for 5 days and antibiotics she caught a very bad cold when she was very sick she was wet from being in the sink all night the problem is shes not eating she can only drink from the sink she can't meou and we're noticing a definite throat problem shes kind of gagging we are force feeding every 4 hours and she HATES it but is keeping her food down she pees but i havent seen her poop - although she's not eating very much at all shes only 2

Veterinarian's Assistant: Cats have coughing problems all the time but it is worrying. The Expert will know what you should do. Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about the cat?

The doctor said she might have been exposed to anti freeze? but we dont know how that could have happened

Submitted: 10 months ago.Category: Cat Veterinary
We just force fed her and she looked in considerable pain afterwards. we just got her a humidifyer and have her in the bathroom to see if she feels better bc ideally we want to feed her a bit more but she just doesnt like it at all. shes very skinny and has trouble breathing from the cold. but she is moving around a lot more today and exploring and overall a lot more active than yesterday
another thing thats happening is that at night or when she sleeps, ants come in and find her- she has a 'sick cat' smell to her- is this normal for a cat that has a cold? We are hopeful that this is not a kidney issue and just a cold issue. we are due to check back her levels on monday but it does seem more of a cold issue that she caught while she was sick from the kidney. but she hasn't popped and im worried some of these affects are caused by the kidney? or does it sound that she has a raspitory infection only?
Answered in 1 hour by:
10/1/2017
Cat Veterinarian: PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse replied 10 months ago
PitRottMommy
PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse

Hello, JACustomer. I have been a Veterinary Nurse for over 15 years and would be happy to help you today. I'm reviewing your question right now.

Do you have a copy of bloodwork to share?

Has she been placed on IV fluids?

Have her liver values been checked?

Has an appetite stimulant been used thus far?

Hi, yes she was on iv fluids for 5 days and her blood work was great by the end of it. she wasn't eating in there so they advised to take her home for the weekend to see how she would do- they force fed her at the vet and we are doing the same. we have the appetite stimulant but she does seem hungry she just doesn't seem to be able to eat- something in her throat is preventing her from eating i dont even think its the kidney she is having trouble with her mouth. the only thing she can do is drink water from the sink she wont touch her drinking bowl. shes gone over to her food as she was active today and it looks like shes about to eat and then isnt able to. after force feeding she looks considerably in pain and is breathing loudly and overall just looks like shes feeling very yucky

What type of food is being force fed currently?

Do you see any abnormalities in her mouth?