Cat Veterinary

Have Cat Questions? Ask a Cat Vet Online.

Ask a Cat Veterinarian,

Six weeks ago the vet told me my cat was barely pregnate but…

Customer Question
Six weeks ago the...

Six weeks ago the vet told me my cat was barely pregnate but he spayed her anyway. Her belly is so swollen she looks as if she is about to give birth, but she isn't. She still eats good and seems to feel ok, but I am still worried about her. What shoud I do?

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'm sorry to hear that. Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about your cat?

She is about 2 years old, and had 2 kittens that were still born, before I decided to have her spayed. She is a rescue and did have very good care.

Submitted: 10 months ago.Category: Cat Veterinary
9/30/2017
Cat Veterinarian: Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian replied 10 months ago
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian

You're speaking with Dr. Michael Salkin. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm currently typing up my reply. Please be patient. This may take a few minutes.

Jean, you appear to be describing an abdominal effusion - free fluid in the abdominal cavity. There's no reason to incriminate her genital tract because her ovaries and uterus were removed and so we need to consider other causes of such fluid such as infection with the FIP virus, and, less common at her age, right-sided heart failure, liver failure, kidney failure; and inflammation due to either bacterial infection or neoplasia (cancer). Please have her vet take a look at her. If fluid is present - and that can be seen in X-rays or ultrasound of her abdomen - a small amount can be aspirated and examined for its physical qualities and cellularity which will guide her vet in the proper direction for a more specific diagnosis. Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.

I have had cats with cancer before. I don't believe that is it. Right now I would go with the infection. Not sure I want to take her to the same vet. He was referred by the SPCA. I think I will make an appointment with my regular doctor that I take my other cats and rescues to. I had her given all her shots and tested for FIP before she was spaded. She had a clean bill of health.
TY doctor, but with 3 cats of my own and 6 rescues, cash isn't in abundance around here. Your previous answer helped me to decide to get off my hind end and take her in first thing Monday.

I understand. Please note that there is no specific FIP test. The only manner in which to confirm FIP pre-mortem is by special histochemical staining of macrophages in tissue or fluid. Please continue our conversation if you wish. I can't set a follow-up in this venue so please return to our conversation - even after rating - with an update at your convenience. You can bookmark this page for ease of return.

Hi Jean,

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?