Cat Veterinary

Have Cat Questions? Ask a Cat Vet Online.

Ask a Cat Veterinarian,

My son's cat has a cut on his abdomen that is about 3/4-1 of…

Customer Question
My son's cat has...

My son's cat has a cut on his abdomen that is about 3/4-1 of an inch long and 1/8 inch deep. It was a little bloody but is not now- It looks pink. Is there anything that we can try topically to treat and protect it before bringing the cat to the vet.

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'm sorry to hear that. Is the cat bleeding a lot?

No- only a little blood when my son first noticed it

Veterinarian's Assistant: What is the cat's name?

Turbo

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Turbo?

He has a skin condition that he is treated for periodically but this is unrelated

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Cat Veterinary
9/30/2017
Cat Veterinarian: Scott Perry, Cat Veterinarian replied 7 months ago
Scott Perry
Scott Perry, Cat Veterinarian

Hello. My name is***** and I am a veterinarian that can answer your question. I understand Turbo has a skin laceration that is about 1/8 inch deep and 3/4-1 inch long. Are you able to assess if the cut goes through the skin?

IMG_8999.jpg
I do to know if you can open the link for the picture. It goes through the first layer

I am not able to see the picture. If the cut does not go through all layers then it can more easily be closed with sterile skin glue. Vetbond Tissue Adhesive is a good product used in many veterinary hospitals: https://www.amazon.com/3M-Vetbond-084-1469SB-Vetbond-Tissue-Adhesive-1469Sb/dp/B004C12Q46/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1506800536&sr=8-1&keywords=skin+glue

To keep it from getting infected, you will want to apply a triple antibiotic ointment to the wound every 12 hours for at least 7 days. Neosporin is a good product you can use.

Were you able to see the picture?
Before agreeing to talk to you which would be fine- I need to understand the total that will be added to my credit card

Were you able to see my text? If you desire a phone call, I can arrange that and confirm the total for you. If you are satisfied and have no other questions then I would appreciate a positive review. You may leave up to 5 stars when ready. If you have more questions please let me know. I am here to help.

Is there a way I can get the picture to you-
I have your response just feel
It would be more comforting if you could see the picture. IMG_8999.jpg

Are you able to click on the paperclip icon to send the picture?

My son texted the picture to me- I oy get the JPEG when I copy and paste it to you

This is on your phone I assume? Are you able to upload the picture and save to your photos on the phone?

My son texted the picture to me. I sent it to my husbands phone and took a picture of the picture, selected it from mine but it would not attach the picture to yourcmsil.
It is.about 1/8 inch deep the bottom if the lesion is pink. Exposed layers are light pink - it is open

1/8 inch may go through all the layers, but the skin glue approach may work. The risk of the cut going through all the layers an using the skin glue is that it may pull apart and not hold. In that case you would need sutures to keep it held. You may be able to find this skin tissue glue at a local pharmacy - you may want to call ahead first to see if they have it. If the skin is able to be kept closed then the healing time should only be 7-10 days. If it pulls apart then it will eventually heal, but may take as long as 30 days as long as it does not get infected.

Thank you

You are most welcome. I hope that works for you. Please let me know if you have any other questions.

Scott Perry
Scott Perry
Scott Perry, Cat Veterinarian