Cat Veterinary

Have Cat Questions? Ask a Cat Vet Online.

Ask a Cat Veterinarian,

My Maine coone was just diagnosed with CHF and after

Customer Question
My Maine coone was...

My Maine coone was just diagnosed with CHF and after spending 2 days at the vet, is now back home. We are having a hard time getting him to eat. He is drinking water but all the foods we have tried to offer he just turns away from. Do you have any tips on ways we could try to get him eating without stressing him out?

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the maine's name?

Bengal

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Bengal?

He was panting a bit this morning and seems to be going through bits a minor activity followed by long periods of sleeping.

Submitted: 10 months ago.Category: Cat Veterinary
9/30/2017
Cat Veterinarian: Dr. Kara, Veterinarian replied 10 months ago
Dr. Kara
Dr. Kara, Veterinarian

Hello, I'm Dr. Kara. I have over 20 years of experience as a veterinarian and I'd like to help. Please give me a moment to review your concerns.

I think that letting him eat what he wants, and/or top dressing cat food with very smelly things like tuna, sardines, or liverwurst and warming his food to increase the odor before offering it to him are all good ways to get him to eat.

You can try canned kitten food or meat baby warmed in the microwave too.

Cats with heart disease often have poor appetites because their blood flow is poor, so tissue oxygen levels aren't what they should be. That causes the gastrointestinal tract to slow down and decreases their appetite.

Naturally when their body is having trouble exchanging oxygen and they are panting their appetite falls too. The body prioritizes breathing over eating. Hopefully as the drugs for his heart disease management start to work he will eat better.
Small frequent meals may be less overwhelming .
You want to make sure he is getting enough Taurine every day, as that is an amino acid essential , eye, and heart health and cats cannot synthesize it, they must get it from their diet.

Hello, I wanted to make sure that you didn't have any further questions for me, and I'd like to know how things turned out for your kitty. If you could give me an update that would be great, thank you, ***** *****