Cat Veterinary

Have Cat Questions? Ask a Cat Vet Online.

Ask a Cat Veterinarian,

My cat has a high eos rating and bad diarrhea. What could…

Customer Question
My cat has a...

My cat has a high eos rating and bad diarrhea. What could the the cause?

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. What is the matter with your cat?

My cat has a high eos rating and bad diarrhea. What could be the cause?

Veterinarian's Assistant: Where does your cat seem to hurt?

He was treated for an ear inflammation on the outside of the skin. He got steeds nd this led two diabetes which after treatment went into remission

Veterinarian's Assistant: OK. I'm sure the Veterinarian can help with the diabetes. What is the cat's name and age?

Stewed ,11 years old

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Stewed?

Stewey He has tried different foods but does not elevate diarrhea. He seems to act alright

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Cat Veterinary
9/30/2017
Cat Veterinarian: Dr. Kara, Veterinarian replied 7 months ago
Dr. Kara
Dr. Kara, Veterinarian

Hello, I'm Dr. Kara. I have over 20 years of experience as a veterinarian and I'd like to help. Please give me a moment to review your concerns.

I am sorry to hear that Stewie has horrible diarrhea and a high number of eosinophils in his blood.

How high is his count?

Eosinophils are a type of white blood cell that may increase in moderate numbers in cats with allergies, and/or that have parasites. Has he been treated for common gastrointestinal parasites? I see he has had some food trials, have they included prescription hypoallergenic food trials (Hills z/d or Purina Pro Plan Veterinary Diets HA)?

If his eosinophil number are very high I believe that he may have Feline Hypereosinophillic Syndrome from your description. It is a horrible disease where eosinophils infiltrate tissue throughout the body including the intestines and more than normal are produced by the bone marrow and released into the bloodstream. It causes an inability to use and digest the nutrition he is taking in leading to weight loss and diarrhea.

Has he had an intestinal biopsy, or at this point is his only abnormalities high blood eosinophils found on a blood count and is diarrhea his only symptom?

Ideally a biopsy should be done to confirm the diagnosis.

Treatment usually includes changing to a hypoallergenic diet like Hills z/d or a low irritant easy to digest diet such as Hills I/D.

Steroids at immunosuppressive doses are also important. There have been recommendations of using other immunosuppressive agents like Chlorambucil or Azathioprine if diet isn't enough and steroids can't be given due to other health issues (such as a history of diabetes in remission).

Unfortunately this disease has a very poor prognosis as many patients don't respond to any therapy. Talk to your veterinarian about a referral to a veterinary internal medicine specialist. They will have the newest available treatments. Given how serious this disease is the sooner he is seen by a specialist the better.

Hello, I wanted to make sure that you didn't have any further questions for me, and I'd like to know how things turned out for your kitty. If you could give me an update that would be great, thank you, ***** *****

Dr. Kara
Dr. Kara
Dr. Kara, Veterinarian