Cat Veterinary

Have Cat Questions? Ask a Cat Vet Online.

Ask a Cat Veterinarian,

There are bugs crawling on her and no one can tell us what…

Customer Question
There are bugs crawling...

There are bugs crawling on her and no one can tell us what they are they do not look like flease

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. What seems to be the problem with the cat?

Veterinarian's Assistant: Where does the cat seem to hurt?

Is not hurting

Veterinarian's Assistant: OK. No obvious pain. What is the cat's name and age?

Its a kitten we just got her yestrday

Veterinarian's Assistant: What is the kitten's name?

Her name is pepper

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Pepper?

Shes actting realky sick

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Cat Veterinary
She's not really moving at all she trust to meow but its so quite you can hardly hear it
9/30/2017
Cat Veterinarian: Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian replied 8 months ago
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian

You're speaking with Dr. Michael Salkin. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm currently typing up my reply. Please be patient. This may take a few minutes.

I'm sorry that your question wasn't answered in a timely manner. These appear to be lice. She needs the attention of a vet at your earliest convenience. Lice can debilitate such a small kitten and this kitten is likely to be profoundly dehydrated and anemic and in need of hospitalized supportive and symptomatic care. This is what your vet will know about lice:

1. Affected and all in-contact same-species animals should be treated.

2. Matted hairs should be clipped away.

3. Traditional therapy is to topically treat your dog's entire body with over the counter 2% lime sulfur, pyrethroids, carbaryl, or organophosphate shampoo, powder, spray, or dip twice 2 weeks apart. Just about any flea insecticide kills lice.

4. Alternative treatments include the following:

Injectable ivermectin given at 0.2 mg/kg orally or subcutaneously 2 weeks apart. Ivermectin is available over the counter in pet/feed stores. Pleas let me know if you need help figuring the dose for your dog.

Selamectin (Revolution) spot-on (as per label), topically twice 2 weeks apart. Treatment administered every 2 weeks at least four times may be more effective. This is a prescription drug available through your vet.

Injectable doramectin given at 0.2-0.4 mg/kg orally every week for 3-4 weeks. This is a prescription drug available through your vet.

0.25% fipronil pump spray (over the counter Frontline, e.g.) 6ml/kg, topically, twice, 2 weeks apart.

10% fipronil spot-on (over the counter Frontline, PetArmor, Fiproguard, e.g.) topically, twice 2 weeks apart.

5. Bedding, grooming tools, and environment should be cleaned at least once. A professional fumigator is suggested in light of the length of time you've struggled with this problem.

6. Prophylactic use of insecticidal flea collars may protect exposed animals from infestation, but avoidance of infected animals is ideal.

The prognosis is good. Lice are highly contagious from dog to dog and from cat to cat, but they aren't considered contagious from dogs or cats to humans. Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.

She dies shortly after my last message. She was perfectly fine playing and jumping around and out out no where she started to not seem right. She stopped moving around as much then hardly at all and the she just passed away .... We only had her for 24 hours ..... I don't understand .... Litterally 4 hours before she was fine

My condolences for your loss. Regretfully, she only appeared "fine". Rather than dying peracutely (suddenly) she was more likely to die of an acute on chronic disorder; in other words, she had been ill for quite some time but just recently became ill enough for clinical signs to appear. A worsening anemia is most likely responsible. Lice can cause such an anemia and/or the kitten may have harbored the feline leukemia (FeLV) or feline immunodeficiency (FIV) viruses. Please continue our conversation if you wish.

She was a stray. The corner store said the mom just stopped coming back to feed them so he was giving the little things live baby cereal so we took one home couldn't have been more that 6 week. She cuddles and kneeded and tried to suckle still. My BF noticed the bugs on her when she started acting sick. The were not noticeable at all when we got her so before she got back he tried to give her a warm bath and comb out the bugs but he panicked cause once in the water she stopped moving completely. So to took her out and wrapped her in a blanket and help her petting her till she passed. He thinks give g her the bath is what did it and he feels horrible even though I said that couldn't have been it

You two gave it your best. Any stressor can be the straw that broke the camel's back in such an ill kitten. She would have needed to be hospitalized in the critical care unit if she were to have any chance of survival.

Thank you very much

You're quite welcome. You may receive an inappropriate follow-up from the site ostensibly sent by me. It wasn't and I apologize in advance should you receive it.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?