Cat Veterinary

Have Cat Questions? Ask a Cat Vet Online.

Ask a Cat Veterinarian,

After pooping a good amount outside of his litter box, he…

Customer Question
After pooping a good...

After pooping a good amount outside of his litter box, he has started going around, not wanting to sit on his butt or licking it, or his back end becomes ridged. This has been the case for about an hour now, maybe two. Recently he has wanted to eat allot

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'm sorry to hear that. Strange behavior is often perplexing. I'm sure the Veterinarian can help you. What is the cat's name?

Edger

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Edger?

Normally healthy five year old male.

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Cat Veterinary
9/30/2017
Cat Veterinarian: Dr. B., Cat Veterinarian replied 7 months ago
Dr. B.
Dr. B., Cat Veterinarian

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you today.

Has he been passing urine normally?

Was it a hard or loose stool?

Any lumps or redness around the anus?

Are his gums pink or white/pale? Moist or sticky?

If you press on his belly, any tensing, tenderness, discomfort, or pain?

I fell asleep last night after being up with him. Looks like he passed urine, but not 100% sure since this a two cat house.
His stool that he pooped outside his box was normal looking. Good color, solid, but not dry, sticky or loose. He has not passed since and I did not expect him to, but I did not know what to expect either.
Anus looked normal. His skin is white under his fur and he blushes, so to say it was a little red is also to say the rest of his white self (toes, nose and ears) was also very red which means distress and maybe a fever.
Gums are normal. Also, to say, he has had a veracious appetite since about 3 am, in which I gave him wet food to help with passing any stool, and now dry food as I have just woke up.
His whole back end was tense and tender. I could not tell if it was pain or discomfort. He often squatted and would not move from the spot. If I pushed him to lay down, he would lay there for a while till he loosened tension, normally to try his litter box again.
But he is fine now. There might be soreness from last night as he doesn't want me to rub his belly (he likes his belly rubbed) but he won't stop me either. I can now pick him up without him being fussy.

Hello again,

Now I am very glad to hear that Edger is more comfortable now. Though do keep an eye he can pass urine (a kitty emergency when they cannot do so) and do monitor this situation. The signs you noted did sound suspicious of fecal scalding of the skin after passing stool but can also be seen with anal gland issues or colitis. And we just want to make sure we have no relapse here.

So if we have any skin inflammation there, we can start some topical care by cleansing the area 2-3 times daily with a mild antiseptic (ie chlorohexidine, or salt water). Afterwards, pat the area dry and apply hydrocortisone cream to reduce inflammation. More importantly, since we have inappropriate defecation associated with these signs, you can keep up on the wet food but add fiber (ie canned pumpkin) and OTC cat hair ball treatment to just keep him regular and ease any fecal passage. Otherwise while his posture and squatting are pain signs, its possible its from needing to pass stool but it can also be a primary issue (where a fall or muscle strain makes them sore) making it harder to pass stool as a side effect. So, if he has any more of these signs despite supportive care, then we'd want his local vet to assess him for back and abdominal pain as we may need him on some kitty safe pain relief.

Kind regards,

Dr. B.

******************************************************************************

I aim to provide best care for you just as I do for my own clients & their pets. If you have any other questions, please ask – I’m happy to help but please rate me with the **STARS** (or leave a written rating of 1-5; 5 being great) as this is the only way I am credited for my work by the site & this allows me to continue to help here. This is included in your question fee. Once you rate, your question will not close & you can still ask follow-up questions. Thank you. : )**

Dr. B.
Dr. B.
Dr. B., Cat Veterinarian