Cat Veterinary

Have Cat Questions? Ask a Cat Vet Online.

Ask a Cat Veterinarian,

My sisters cat is an outside cat. I just noticed today these…

Customer Question
Hi! My sisters cat is...
Hi! My sisters cat is an outside cat. I just noticed today these nasty looking sores on his bum. I cannot afford a vet for the cat right now ūüėĘ Does anyone know what this is or how I can treat it?
Submitted: 10 months ago.Category: Cat Veterinary
9/30/2017
Cat Veterinarian: Dr. B., Cat Veterinarian replied 10 months ago
Dr. B.
Dr. B., Cat Veterinarian

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you today.

Now we do need to be proactive for Dreams to prevent infection and help him heal these traumatic wounds. To do so, we can start some topical care. For that, you can start by cleaning this 2-3 times daily with a mild antiseptic (ie dilute betadine, chlorohexidine, or salt water). Afterwards, pat the area dry and apply an OTC antibiotic cream to help keep infection away. As well, it'd be ideal to keep him indoors for the week so we can use an ecollar to prevent self-trauma (as they are their own worst enemy).

Finally, I wanted to note that if funds are a concern, there is help should this struggle to heal or if there is any pus (a sign antibiotics are needed). First, if you have a VCA or Banfield veterinary hospital near you, then you might consider taking advantage of their free first consult offers. You can find vouchers for this via VCA: (http://www.vcahospitals.com/main/offer) & Banfield : (http://www.banfield.com/landing-pages/coupon). Otherwise, you could consider checking out the Humane Society's database (http://www.humanesociety.org/animals/resources/tips/trouble_affording_pet.html). They have a lot of branches nationwide, along with ties to other assistance organizations that can keep down costs and surely will be willing to help.

Kind regards,

Dr. B.

******************************************************************************

I aim to provide best care for you just as I do for my own clients & their pets. If you have any other questions, please ask – I’m happy to help but please rate me with the **STARS** as this is the only way I am credited for my work here & allowing me to continue to help here. This is included in your question fee. Once you rate, your question will not close & you can still ask follow-up questions. Thank you.**

Hi Nicole,

I'm just following up on our conversation about Dreams. How is everything going?

Dr. B.