Cat Veterinary

Have Cat Questions? Ask a Cat Vet Online.

Ask a Cat Veterinarian,

Cat Veterinary

I have a question regarding my cats ear infection. I took my…

I have a question regarding...
I have a question regarding my cats ear infection. I took my 13 year old female asthmatic spayed cat to the vet today. She was treated 6 weeks ago for ear mites with milbemite and a round of revolution. Today there were no ear mites. She is eating ok, but hiding and a bit lethargic. Just one ear seems to bother her. The vet checked both ears and cleaned out the right ear and said she had a secondary infection. The ear drum is intact. She was given a shot of convenia and Tresaderm drops for 7 days, 7 day break, then 7 more days. So I am happy to be on a path to getting better, but I'd like to know more about this infection.
Answered in 1 minute by:
9/30/2017
Dr. Bruce, Veterinarian

Hi. My name is***** Thank you for your question about Two. I would be happy to help answer your questions as best as possible. Can you let me know more specifically what they are?

I like my vet, I just wish I had asked more questions- so thanks in advance. First, can you tell me more about trasaderm? She mentioned it would fight multiple types of infection. Which types does it fight? Is it commonly used? What are common side effects if any?
Another question is what are the most common sources of infection once ear mites are out of the picture? Could her immune system be compromised by the prednisisone (sp?) for asthma. I know you can't be sure I just want to learn more about possibilities?
Last, do cats with ear infections likely have a recurring problem? That's it! Ty.

Sometimes it is hard to come up with the questions in the office at the time of the visit. It is much easier when you're sitting down later and they just come to you. I wanted to send you this great link on Tresaderm as it is the package insert that is all inclusive. How about read it and then fire away with more questions that it doesn't cover.

http://us.merial.com/pdf/Labels/TRESADERM.pdf

Tresaderm is very commonly used as a topical medication for ear infections that are bacterial / yeast related. More than likely there shouldn't be any big side effects from it. As far as source of ear infection once mites are gone, the normal yeast and bacteria of the ear canal that just take advantage of an opportunistic issue in the ear. They are typically there and kept in check by the body's normal barriers for infection. Most of the time cat's shouldn't have ongoing ear infections once they are treated correctly. Dogs can have more of an ongoing situation as they have allergies that can allow them to flare up randomly.

Thanks for link. Yes! Exactly, More questions come to mind after. My vet also mentioned dogs ear infections are more recurring. That said she also said they are not that common in cats. I'm glad to hear these drops are commonly used. I'm a nerd so I'll check out the link. Last question, just to confirm, there isn't one most common source for this yeast or bacteria that is normally ok to cause an infection? I guess that's true for people too, we often don't know the source. I'm most interested to try to avoid the problem for my other three cats or a recurrence. Thanks I promise that's the last one!

The ear infections typically are again from the natural flora that is there. There is always various bacteria and yeast in the ear canal but the natural defenses again keep them in check. More than likely once this current infection is resolved, there shouldn't be any big things to do on an ongoing basis to keep them from coming back.

Great - all helpful. Thank you

No problem. I hope all goes well for Two!

Dr. Bruce, Veterinarian

I'm just following up on our conversation about Two. How is everything going?

Dr. Bruce, Veterinarian