Cat Veterinary

Have Cat Questions? Ask a Cat Vet Online.

Ask a Cat Veterinarian,

I have a 24-25 year old cat who I think got stung by yellow…

Customer Question
I have a 24-25...

I have a 24-25 year old cat who I think got stung by yellow jacket

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. What is the matter with the cat?

You

Veterinarian's Assistant: Where does the cat seem to hurt?

Face

Veterinarian's Assistant: OK. What is the cat's name?

Wu he's siamise

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Wu?

He very old and been slowing down he also get's stressed out if I try to pick up can't breath and take hour to calm. Down

Submitted: 10 months ago.Category: Cat Veterinary
9/30/2017
Cat Veterinarian: Dr. B., Cat Veterinarian replied 10 months ago
Dr. B.
Dr. B., Cat Veterinarian

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you today. I do apologize that your question was not answered before. Different experts come online at various times; I just came online, read about your wee one’s situation, and wanted to help.

Again I do apologize that my colleagues could not aid you sooner, but wanted to touch base with you.

If he has discomfort or swelling from the sting, do cool compress the area but also consider a low dose of antihistamine. Most commonly we use Benadryl/Diphenhydramine (More Info/Dose @ http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/diphenhydramine-benadryl). A low dose (ie. 0.25mg per pound of their body weight twice daily) can just be enough to reduce allergic reaction. Alternatively, we can use Cetirizine (just 5mg for a cat) once daily. For either, we like to keep the dose low, to avoid drowsiness. Of course, double check with your vet first if your wee one has any known health issues or is on any other medication you didn't mention. Finally, if he has issues with breathing when stressed, do make sure he has pink (not pale/white gums) as this can be a sign of lung issues (ie asthma, bronchitis, pneumonia, tumors, etc), heart disease or even anemia (low red blood cell levels --which can be from a range of issues but also secondary to kidney troubles at Wu's age). And if any of these are present, then a home visit from his vet or a mobile vet may be ideal to look into those in case we can treat them for him.

Kind regards,

Dr. B.

******************************************************************************

I aim to provide best care for you just as I do for my own clients & their pets. If you have any other questions, please ask – I’m happy to help but please rate me with the **STARS** (or leave a written rating of 1-5; 5 being great) as this is the only way I am credited for my work by the site & this allows me to continue to help here. This is included in your question fee. Once you rate, your question will not close & you can still ask follow-up questions. Thank you. : )**

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr. B.