Cat Veterinary

Have Cat Questions? Ask a Cat Vet Online.

Ask a Cat Veterinarian,

Vet prescribed Lantus .5 for my cat. Would the same dosage…

Customer Question
Vet prescribed Lantus...

Vet prescribed Lantus .5 for my cat. Would the same dosage work with novolin n.

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the cat's name and age?

Petunia, 10 years olg

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Petunia?

No his blood work and urine were fine just the diabetes. His BG number was 600

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Cat Veterinary
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call.
Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
9/29/2017
Cat Veterinarian: Dr. Kara, Veterinarian replied 8 months ago
Dr. Kara
Dr. Kara, Veterinarian

Hello, I'm Dr. Kara. I have over 20 years of experience as a veterinarian and I'd like to help. Please give me a moment to review your concerns.

I understand that you are trying to regulate your cat Petunia's diabetes and are wondering if Lantus and Novolin-N are the same "types" of insulin and can be dosed the same.

In short no, they are different types.

Lantus (glargine type of insulin) is a long acting insulin and although it may start to show effects 2 hours after being given its effects last longer and it has less of a high peak effect, its effects tend to be less dramatic, but work for a longer, more consistent period.

Novolin-N (NPH type of insulin) is intermediate. It too starts to show effects about 2 hours after injection but then has more of a peak effect and it does not last as long as Lantus.

In most cats Lantus has the best chance of working, and inducing a remission. But this isn't aways the case, in some cats other types work better.

I do not recommend switching insulin types without a glucose curve and consulting with his veterinarian.

I responded to your question because I did not want you to think that you were being ignored.

I am sorry I cannot help with a phone call. The states/province I am licensed in do not allow me to communicate via phone calls, unless I have previously physically examined a pet. I could lose my license for doing so. I suspect other veterinarians here also have that restriction too, thus your wait for a response.

If you would like you can reply and ask any follow-up questions and I will be happy to respond to them here.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
Dr. Kara

Hello, I wanted to make sure that you didn't have any further questions for me, and I'd like to know how things turned out for your kitty. If you could give me an update that would be great, thank you, ***** *****