Cat Veterinary

Have Cat Questions? Ask a Cat Vet Online.

Ask a Cat Veterinarian,

My cat has a mass in its stomach and has lost over 10 lbs…

Customer Question
My cat has a...

My cat has a mass in its stomach and has lost over 10 lbs over a few months, even though he has had a good appetite. He is at the vet now on a IV and I have an ultrasound scheduled for Monday. Any idea what I am going to find out?

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'm sorry to hear that. Some lumps are serious and some aren't. Let's see what the Veterinarian has to say. What is the cat's name and age?

I named him and his sister the boy and the girl. They were born around labor day in 2007, so they just turned 10.

Veterinarian's Assistant: What is the cat's name?

The boy that is all he has ever been called. He has always been a house cat. And even though he is small build his weight was over 17 lbs. Much to heavy for his size, now he is under 6 lbs.It happen really fast. He always had a good appetite and was eating well.

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Cat Veterinary
9/29/2017
Cat Veterinarian: Dr. Kara, Veterinarian replied 7 months ago
Dr. Kara
Dr. Kara, Veterinarian

Hello, I'm Dr. Kara. I have over 20 years of experience as a veterinarian and I'd like to help. Please give me a moment to review your concerns.

I am so sorry to hear about your fellow's rapid decline in condition.

1. Any vomiting?
  2. Is he still eating well?
  3. Did they take radiographs of his abdomen and did those give any indication of where the mass is located (near his spleen, liver, kidney, mid-abdomen)?
  4. Did they take radiographs of his chest to look at his lymph nodes in his chest and to see if there are metastases in his lungs?
  5. Any external lymph node enlargement?
  6. Has he had bloodwork checked? If so was that at all abnormal?
  7. Any fever (rectal temperature greater than 103F)?

If he is still eating well and not vomiting then the mass is likely outside his intestinal/stomach lumen.

It may be originating from his lymph nodes, pancreas, liver, spleen, kidney or bladder. Depending upon location we might be able to get a slighter better idea of where it originated.

Most cats with a pancreatic mass are vomiting consistently and don't feel well. They may have very high or very low blood sugar.

Lymphoma is a common cancer in cats and can originate in the lymph nodes, kidney, spleen or liver. It can originate in the walls of the intestines too, but I would expect vomiting and loss of appetite, and often diarrhea too.

Masses originating in one kidney, the liver or spleen can be insiduous and kitties may show no signs of their presence until they get very large and cause weight loss when calories are being used for their growth rather than body health maintenance.

A solitary liver mass can be benign and if location make it amenable to surgical removal then surgery can be a cure.

Some splenic masses are benign (don't spread) and surgery can effect a cure.

Kidney masses are very rarely benign, but they can be.

I think if chest radiographs haven't been done they should be. If he has metastatic cancer then you may choose not to pursue any further treatment, understandably.

The ultrasound should be extremely valuable to determine what tissues the mass is originating from, whether it has spread in the abdomen and whether it is possibly amenable to surgery as a cure. It is also a way to collect aspirates and possibly biopsies to determine what it is. I would have an ultrasound done if this were my kitty and I wanted to try treatment.

Please let me know if you have questions about what I have written.

Dr. Kara
Dr. Kara
Dr. Kara, Veterinarian