Cat Veterinary

Have Cat Questions? Ask a Cat Vet Online.

Ask a Cat Veterinarian,

I took my cat into the vet to get a dental, he has a history…

Customer Question
I took my cat...

I took my cat into the vet to get a dental, he has a history of periodontal disease and so extractions were expected. All the teeth were extracted but the vet told me due to his heavy breathing that heart condition was suspected. The did X-rays and an EKG. I picked him up and brought him home - Now he has definite signs of Internal bleeding on his belly that the doc says is from FIA. His gums are pinkish but the spot of internal blood seems to be worse than it initially was. Does FIA cause internal bleeding?

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'm sorry to hear that. The Expert will know what to do about this bleeding. I'll connect you ASAP. Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about your cat?

You

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Cat Veterinary
He is 13. That's about all
Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
9/29/2017
Cat Veterinarian: Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian replied 7 months ago
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian

You're speaking with Dr. Michael Salkin. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm currently typing up my reply. Please be patient. This may take a few minutes.

I'm sorry that your question wasn't answered in a timely manner. If FIA refers to hemotropic mycoplasmosis due to Mycoplasma haemofelis, yes, that parasite can cause a thrombocytopenia (lack of blood platelets) will can result in petichiae and ecchymoses - bleeding under the skin. If severe, the thrombocytopenia can cause bleeding into body cavities as well. Is your cat currently being treated for this parasite?

Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian