Cat Veterinary

Have Cat Questions? Ask a Cat Vet Online.

Ask a Cat Veterinarian,

A semi feral cat, Tahn (for whom I've been caring about 18…

Customer Question
A semi feral cat...

A semi feral cat, Tahn (for whom I've been caring about 18 months and is about 2 yrs old) has an infected ear hematoma, and I have to sedate him to get him to the vet. I have 8 mg temazepam capsules, and was going to carefully measure 1/3 of the contents of a capsule and put it in a little wet food. He weighs approx. 10 lbs. There is no other way to get him care. Is that amount within a safe range?

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'm sorry to hear that. There are all sorts of infections Tahn can pick up. I'll have you talk to the Veterinarian who'll sort out what is wrong and help you decide what to do about it. Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Tahn?

He has been given probiotics for a long time, and I just yesterday switched to Keflex, when his ear took a "turn for the worse". It is imperative that I get him to the vet, and he only likes me, and has never been contained. Sedation is my only hope. He is, in other ways, very strong and healthy.

Submitted: 10 months ago.Category: Cat Veterinary
I wanted to add, that I am very aware of the importance of staying with him while waiting for the sedative to take effect. I realize he will be compromised and unable to protect himself, etc.
Also, not to be pushy about time, but I have to try this tonight. The vet is willing to meet me after hours at her clinic, because that's when he comes here, at night; but I'll have to get him very sedated to take him there. I found some stuff on some blogs, which I normally don't read, but I don't have a ton of faith in that info. Please let me know as soon as possible. Thank you.
9/28/2017
Cat Veterinarian: Sheena Christensen,
 replied 10 months ago
Sheena Christensen

Hi there, I am Dr. Christensen. Give me just a moment to respond to your question.

Cat Veterinarian: Sheena Christensen,
 replied 10 months ago

As far as I am aware there is not a dose for Temazepam in cats. I would not advise using this drug in cats unless you have been specifically advised to by the veterinarian that you are working with (meeting tonight), if they have directed you to utilize this drug, they should be able to tell you their dose recommendation. If they have not advised this medication, I would contact them and ask them for a sedative that is recommended for cats. Cats do not metabolize drugs the same way humans do, therefor many medications that are safe if humans are not safe in cats or are dosed in a drastically different way. There are several medications that can be used to sedate cats for exams (Tahn is not alone in not wanting to visit the vet). All of these drugs would be prescription and you would need to get it from a veterinarian. I would advise calling the veterinarian you are meeting and getting teir recommendation. Then you can pick up the medication from them prior to the visit. It is very nice they are meeting you after hours. Please let me know if there is anything else I can do to assist you. If there is nothing more, I would greatly appreciate it if you would take a moment to rate my service. Thank you so much and I am wishing you and Tahn all the best with his veterinary visit and fast healing for his ear.

No offense, but it would have been more helpful, if, 3 hours ago, someone had just said they did not want to advise about a benzodiazepine medicine. I'm not going to give you, specifically, a bad rating or anything, but I do not want to pay for that answer, so I will request my deposit back. nothing personal
Cat Veterinarian: Sheena Christensen,
 replied 10 months ago

I​ am sorry that you waited for a response. I, personally, was not online earlier. I understand that the delay was not helpful. I hope that Tahn is able to get some assistance. Have a wonderful evening and best wishes.