Cat Veterinary

Have Cat Questions? Ask a Cat Vet Online.

Ask a Cat Veterinarian,

My cat has skin lesions due to flea bites can I give her…

Customer Question
My cat has skin...

My cat has skin lesions due to flea bites can I give her cefdinir in small doses

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'm sorry to hear that. Using the wrong medication for fleas can be dangerous. You should definitely talk to the Veterinarian. What is the cat's name and age?

Her name is ***** ***** she is a small black cat

Veterinarian's Assistant: How old is SaMone?

6 I think

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about SaMone?

She has had this for a while every summer she gets this due to a flea allergy. We have had a bad flea infestation this year here

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Cat Veterinary
9/28/2017
Cat Veterinarian: Scott Perry, Cat Veterinarian replied 7 months ago
Scott Perry
Scott Perry, Cat Veterinarian
Hi. My name is***** and I am a veterinarian that can answer your question. I understand SaMone has been dealing with a flea bite dermatitis, and you have been treating with Cefdinil. I would be happy to look at some pictures of the lesions on SaMone's body to help decide if antibiotics are necessary. Cefdinil is a fine choice, but we have to be careful about using it at the correct dosage. The dose for cats is anywhere between 25-50 mg/kg every 12 hours. For a 10 lb cat, this would be 125-250 mg.The next thing we need to do is to get her on a flea prevention. If she has never been on one then using a high quality product such as Revolution, Comfortis, or Bravecto is recommended, as well as thoroughly vacuuming the carpets and furniture and washing any of her bedding if she has any. That should resolve the flea bite hypersensitivity over time. A low dose antihistamine may also be needed if she continues to get bit, but there should no longer be any continuous biting as no fleas should be able to continue living on the body and continuously be allowed to bite with this strategy.
Please let me know if you have any other questions. I am here to help. If you have no other questions, I would appreciate very much a positive review. You may leave up to 5 stars when ready. Thank you.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Scott Perry
Scott Perry
Scott Perry
Scott Perry, Cat Veterinarian