Cat Veterinary

Have Cat Questions? Ask a Cat Vet Online.

Ask a Cat Veterinarian,

My cat is very congested to the point of not being able to…

Customer Question
My cat is very congested...
My cat is very congested to the point of not being able to breathe. She has been to a couple different vets over the last few months and taken a half dozen different antibiotics with little to no improvement. We believe she also has asthma based on a video we watched. Now she is taking prednisone which may help some but she is still congested.
Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Cat Veterinary
9/28/2017
Cat Veterinarian: PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse replied 8 months ago
PitRottMommy
PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse

Hello, JACustomer. I have been a Veterinary Nurse for over 15 years and would be happy to help you today. I'm reviewing your question right now.

1) Are you seeing mucus from the nose?
2) What color is the mucous?
3) What diagnostics have been run thus far?
4) Do you have a video to share of her congestion?
5) Can you give me a full list of antibiotics tried?

1. Yes there is mucous, she sneezes periodically and sprays it everywhere. 2. It is hard to say, clear I think. 3. She had blood work done that to my knowledge did not show anything; a slight kidney issue, but she is 15. 4. She has been on prednisone two days. On 11/14/2016 she had penicillin and Enrofloxacin 22.7 mg from our vet. On 06/26/2017 she had a shot of benedryl and was given Azithromyacin liquid 40 mg ( emergency vet). On 07/21/2017 she had a blood test and was put on Doxycycline 100 mg from another vet ( with no results). And now the prednisone. None of the antibiotics seem to do much except for the shot of penecillin. I think she may have asthma based on a video we saw, but something else is causing the congestion; allergies?

Can you share the video you saw which looks similar to what you're seeing at home?

Has anyone discussed culturing the discharge?

How long overall has she been battling the congestion and discharge?

Have any antihistamines been tried yet for congestion?