Cat Veterinary

Have Cat Questions? Ask a Cat Vet Online.

Ask a Cat Veterinarian,

My hamster escaped from the cage and I just found her. Her…

Customer Question
My hamster escaped from...

My hamster escaped from the cage and I just found her. Her eye is popping out of the socket and is dry looking

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the hamster's name and age?

Smokey and around five or six months. She's a dwarf

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Smokey?

No, except I have cats. Is it possible one of them did this to her?

Submitted: 10 months ago.Category: Cat Veterinary
9/28/2017
Cat Veterinarian: PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse replied 10 months ago
PitRottMommy
PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse

Hello, JACustomer. I have been a Veterinary Nurse for over 15 years and would be happy to help you today. I'm reviewing your question right now.

Can you share pictures of the eye?

I'll try
She's running on the wheel
Bedding

This does look like it's proptosed. She's going to need an examination and treatment. If she cannot go to your ER vet overnight, she needs to see your vet tomorrow. The eye is likely going to need to be removed. It looks like there's been some sort of head trauma on that side of the face but I cannot tell you that a cat did this. Something so simple as slipping under a door can caused an eye to withdraw from the socket and this is a common occurrence in small mammals. I would use a soft, moist cloth and dripping water to remove the bedding. Keep her on fabric this evening if you can to minimize the irritation to the eye. If you need help finding a vet that can see her, please let me know. I'll need your city and state.

I hope this information has been helpful. I will be standing by if you have other questions. Let me know if I can help further. Also, before signing off today, please take the time to use the star rating system at the top of the page to leave a rating for me (bottom of the page if using the app). A 5-star rating is appreciated as top notch answers are my focus. If you feel you have received anything less, please reply so that I may help until you’ve received the assistance you need. Until you issue a rating, the website will not compensate me for helping you. You will still be able to chat with me even after issuing a rating at no further charge on this thread.

I will also check in with you over the next few days to be sure you don’t need any additional assistance. If you would like to request me in the future for pet-related questions, you can do so by accessing this page: http://www.justanswer.com/pet/expert-pitrottmommy/?rpt=3800

Removed? Will she be able to see?

If the eye needs to be surgically removed, not on that side. She may already not be able to see from the eye if it's that heavily injured. She will retain vision on the other side, though.

Checking in. How is Smokey?

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

PitRottMommy