Cat Veterinary

Have Cat Questions? Ask a Cat Vet Online.

Ask a Cat Veterinarian,

Sorry she has been sneezing a lot and now her eyes are

Customer Question
Sorry she has been...

Sorry she has been sneezing a lot and now her eyes are swollen really bad and red can I do anything for her

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the cat's name and age?

Her name is ***** *****’s Aprox 8 mths

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Bunny?

She’s been a inside cat all her life her brother and 2 sisters are doing amazing nothing wrong with them

Submitted: 10 months ago.Category: Cat Veterinary
I have a picture I can send she was born inside
9/27/2017
Cat Veterinarian: Dr. Kara, Veterinarian replied 10 months ago
Dr. Kara
Dr. Kara, Veterinarian

Hello, I'm Dr. Kara. I have over 20 years of experience as a veterinarian and I'd like to help. Please give me a moment to review your concerns.

Ok thank you

I’m sorry to hear that your little one Bunny has been sneezing, and has swollen, red eyes today.
I suspect that she has picked up a contagious upper respiratory infection. An upper respiratory infection in cats is just like a cold in you and I, and these are commonly caused by a virus, the most common one being Herpes virus. These are easily caught by breathing in virus particles in the air from a sneeze or nasal or eye discharge, or a queen can pass the virus to her kittens. We can even bring them into the house on our shoes or clothing after coming into contact with it in the environment. Or it's possible that virus particles came in through the open windows. Some cats get exposed and never show symptoms, some have mild symptoms and others can get very sick. Most young, healthy adult cats seem to tolerate them and fight them off better than very young kittens or older cats. Symptoms of respiratory infection in cats range from mild sneezing, mild lethargy, eye tearing and redness, to high fever, coughing, severe lethargy, matted eyes and crusted nose to pneumonia.
You can help her feel better by adding warm water to her food to make it smell more (they don't eat if they cannot smell) as well as making it easier to swallow with a sore throat.
Also the more fluids she gets the better. Offer tuna juice, low salt chicken broth, run the tap if she likes to drink out of the sink.
Take her into the bathroom with you if you run a hot bath or shower as the steam will soothe her sore throat and airways and thin mucous in her respiratory tract.
If her nose become very congested you can use sterile saline to loosen the thick mucous and remove it. She won't like it but it will help her breathe and be able to smell her food better. You can also use sterile saline to remove eye mucous if it accumulates. Apply artificial tears to her eyes every few hours to help them stay lubricated and more comfortable. Both of these products are available at the drug store over the counter.
You can give her an amino acid supplement called L-lysine at a dose of 500mg orally twice daily. If this infection is due to Herpes this amino acid interferes with virus replication and will shorten the infection's duration and severity. Good supplements to try are made by the Viralys brand which comes in a powder to add to the food or a tasty gel.
If you want to try Benadryl (diphenhydramine) to dry up her nose a normal dose is 1mg to 2mg per pound of body weight every 8 to 12 hours. So a cat 4-8 pounds could take one quarter of a 25mg tablet every 12 hours. Benadryl is very bitter and some cats will drool excessively or may even vomit because of that. That doesn't mean it is making her ill, she just hates the taste. If that's the case with her try a different antihistamine, chlorpheniramine at 2mgs to 4mg per cat orally every 12 to 24 hours.
If she runs a high fever (more than 104F), has a green or yellow nasal or eye discharge, stops eating even with coaxing and clearing her nose and eyes, or starts coughing or having difficulty breathing such that she is open mouth breathing then she needs a veterinary exam.
Sometimes these upper airway infections turn into pneumonia so that's what we need to guard against. In most cases antibiotics aren't needed and can contribute to a decrease in appetite so I don't tend to prescribe them unless I feel there is evidence of a secondary bacterial component. These include a green or yellow eye or nasal discharge, evidence of pneumonia upon listening to their lungs or an infection that lingers beyond the normal 7 to 10 days.
Some lethargy is understandable, let her rest as she needs rest to get better. If your cats normally go outdoors keep her (them) inside until they are back to their normal playful selves.
Sometimes these upper airway infections turn into pneumonia so that's what we need to guard against.

Rarely some cats need anti-viral drugs to help them get through the infection without permanent eye damage.
I highly recommend testing her for feline leukemia and feline immunodeficiency viruses if her respiratory infection lingers. These immunosuppressive viruses will make a simple infection much worse as they stop the immune system from fighting infections the way it was designed to do.
Other reasons for sneezing and nasal congestion are a foreign body inhaled into the nose or a nasal polyp. If she isn't much better in 7 to 10 days she needs a veterinary visit.
Let me know if you have any further questions.

Hello, I wanted to make sure that you didn't have any further questions for me, and I'd like to know how things turned out for your kitty. If you could give me an update that would be great, thank you, ***** *****