Cat Veterinary

Have Cat Questions? Ask a Cat Vet Online.

Ask a Cat Veterinarian,

Hasn't pooped since Sunday. Prior to that she had blood in…

Customer Question
Hasn't pooped since Sunday...

Hasn't pooped since Sunday. Prior to that she had blood in her stool for which she gets steroid injections every 3 months. She is 13 and her appetite is normal.

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the cat's name?

Kiki.

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Kiki?

She's had the blood on and off for a few years and when she does have blood the stool is like pudding and stinky. We believe she has IBS, but this symptom is new.

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Cat Veterinary
9/27/2017
Cat Veterinarian: PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse replied 7 months ago
PitRottMommy
PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse

Hello, JACustomer. I have been a Veterinary Nurse for over 15 years and would be happy to help you today. I'm reviewing your question right now.

Has she had diarrhea along with the blood in her stool?

What diet is she on at this time?

How often does the blood occur?

Is she attempting to defecate and unable or simply doesn't appear to have the urge?

When was bloodwork last performed on her?

Is she drinking well?

to the diarrhea with blood. She was on an Rd diet but wouldn't eat. Switched her to Blue Buffalo Sr. Cat grain free wet food 1-1/2 oz 2x a day and grain free dry. She seems to drink enough. The blood is every day if she hasn't had her injection, but she had one about 3 weeks ago, but it started again. Think last blood work was about a year ago.Upon getting home from work today I noticed she did go but it was very hard.

On the Blue Buffalo, is she producing normal stools?

Is she on any medication aside from the steroids given by injection?

Tried antibiotics by mouth when the symptoms first started but it was too difficult to give to her.

Which antibiotics were given? Can you tell me the dates they were given?

Can't remember and records not accessible right now. Can't take her to the vet for another week so I thought I would check her symptoms online and that landed me at this site.

Antibiotics, particularly medications like metronidazole, can induce hard stools and that may be what has happened.

To start, we can see a gap in when cats produce normal stool following diarrhea. The fluid-laden stool often exits the body in volume and leaves the intestines empty. With this, it can be days between bowel movements particularly if normal stool is produced. It will be even longer if the stool is hard.

For the time being, I would focus on strong eating and drinking habits. Typically if these are normal, defecation will follow. If you see hard stool again, consider giving 1/2 tsp of regular cow's milk twice daily to soften the stool mildly so it's easier to pass.

I hope this information has been helpful. I will be standing by if you have other questions. Let me know if I can help further. Also, before signing off today, please take the time to use the star rating system at the top of the page to leave a rating for me (bottom of the page if using the app). A 5-star rating is appreciated as top notch answers are my focus. If you feel you have received anything less, please reply so that I may help until you’ve received the assistance you need. Until you issue a rating, the website will not compensate me for helping you. You will still be able to chat with me even after issuing a rating at no further charge on this thread.

I will also check in with you over the next few days to be sure you don’t need any additional assistance. If you would like to request me in the future for pet-related questions, you can do so by accessing this page: http://www.justanswer.com/pet/expert-pitrottmommy/?rpt=3800

Checking in. How is Kiki?

PitRottMommy
PitRottMommy
PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse