Cat Veterinary

Have Cat Questions? Ask a Cat Vet Online.

Ask a Cat Veterinarian,

My cat has been diagnosed with crystals in urine and needs a…

Customer Question
My cat has been...

My cat has been diagnosed with crystals in urine and needs a prescription CD diet is wet food more beneficial than dry?

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the cat's name and age?

Zimmy and 3 years old

Submitted: 10 months ago.Category: Cat Veterinary
9/27/2017
Cat Veterinarian: Dr. Nicole, Cat Veterinarian replied 10 months ago
Dr. Nicole
Dr. Nicole, Cat Veterinarian

Hello. I am Dr. Nicole and I would love to help you with your question. I am working on a response right now and will be back shortly.

my first time using this service- still waiting for reply is WET prescription food best for urinary tract crystals than dry?
is one brand better than another?

I am sorry to hear about Zimmy. I am assuming it is a male cat?

So whenever crystals are diagnosed in a cat, especially a male cat, it is so important that they go on a prescription urinary care diet, one that is specifically formulated to dissolve crystals. I am sure that your veterinarian informed you of the risks with male cats becoming blocked or unable to urinate if they develop too many crystals. This is a serious emergency so we try to avoid it by placing them on these prescription foods.

So to address your question. Wet food is better than dry in the sense that it is extra moisture and can help to flush out the urinary system. Especially since most cats really do not drink that much water. However, if I have a cat that doesn't like wet food and will only eat the dry, then so be it. It is more important that they be on one of the prescription diets.

One more important thing for you to consider. So there are many really great prescription urinary diets available and everybody has an opinion about which one is best. Science diet and royal canin are great diets. Science diet has the CD and royal canin has the SO. The one thing that I have noticed, however, is that you have to be very careful about weight gain on these diets because they are corn based. The reason it is important to monitor weight, is that increased weight gain predisposes these cats to becoming blocked. There is a diet that our hospital has been carrying for while it is called Blue Buffalo grain free WU- weight control and urinary care. We definitely see less weight gain on this diet. Just something to consider.

Sorry, I tend to provide as much information as possible so it takes a little longer for a reply!!

Did the information come through ok? Sometimes if we are sending messages at the same time, you won't receive it.

I hope that helps to clarify things. Please let me know if you have more questions. I am happy to help.

If you are satisfied with my assistance, a 5 star rating is always appreciated and is how we as experts are recognized and compensated for our time.

Even after the rating, we can continue this conversation for up to a week, so keep me posted on how he is doing.

Have a good day.

Sincerely,

Dr. Nicole

I didn't hear back from you so I wanted to make sure that you received my reply. I know you were waiting a couple minutes thats why I wanted you to know that I was working on a response for you and I wanted to include as much information for you as possible.
Please let me know that you received the info and let me know if you want me to clarify anything.Thanks and have a good day.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr. Nicole